Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i'm getting ready to do my first proper paint job, its on a fender, i have my materials etc., but i have a few questions about the best procedure to get from start to finish.
the plan is to shoot primer tomorrow, then bc/cc the following day
i only have one gun so its gona have to do primer, base & clear. Whats the best way to clean the gun between each?
what do you guys mix the paint in... plastic/paper cups, glasses?
once i mix the paint how long can i leave it in the cup? do i only mix enough for one coat at a time, or can i leave it long enough to do 2/3 coats?
roughly how much paint would i need for 2/3 coats? its a large plastic fender

i'm sure these things have been covered a million times before, but it'll be my first time using a spray gun so i'd like to get it right

any help is much appreciated
andy

·
Registered
93 Posts
gufrinhn

i applied my shopline brand epoxy primer and let it sit for 24 hours (there was no need to scuff). then bc/cc shopline brand.

to clean, i drained all paint from can (wiped out with shop towel), put laquer thinner in gun and sprayed till it comes out clean. then i cover the nozzle with a towel and pulled trigger to let it percolate. dump that stuff out and put thinner in gun and do it again. take nozzle off and make sure holes are debris free.

mix paint in mixing cups supplied by your paint jobber.

not sure on how much paint. try starting with 8 oz.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i only have one gun so its gona have to do primer, base & clear. Whats the best way to clean the gun between each?

What HGUFRIN said for cleaning the gun is a good basic procedure.

what do you guys mix the paint in... plastic/paper cups, glasses?

Plastic cups from the paint supplier, paper can contain wax or other contaminants and you neve know what's been in the glass.

once i mix the paint how long can i leave it in the cup? do i only mix enough for one coat at a time, or can i leave it long enough to do 2/3 coats?

Refer to your tech sheets, different paint lines have different open times.

roughly how much paint would i need for 2/3 coats? its a large plastic fender

A pint of each will be plenty for one fender. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks lads
i have a half litre(about a pint) of base so should be ok there, i didnt get a tech sheet with the paint thats why i asked about time in the gun.
i'm not planning to leave more than 20 minutes between coats so it shouldnt be in the gun for more than 40mins or so, hopefully this'll be ok

i just won a new binks gravity gun on ebay, pity it wont be here for the main event, coz the one i have is bollix(already blaming my tools) i might have to do a repaint next week anyway :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.