Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a person who has done a 400 with a 350 crank who has installed it. I am seeking information on the starter and flexplate. the one I have in now has a 1 inch gap distance. So if any one out there has encountered this problem Please e-mail me at [email protected]
Thank You
Carol

·
Registered
323 Posts
there are 2 different size flex plates for chevrolet a 12.75 and a 14 the smaller one is for newer SBCs with the little starter the other is for the large starter both starters will bolt to any smallblock if you are useing the large starter with the small flywheel you will get a gap probably about 1 inch try the small starter or get a bigger flexplate

·
Registered
91 Posts
I remember going thru this a few years ago when I built a 377 for my car. The two flywheel options you have are 153 tooth and 168 tooth. Both need to be the internally balanced type when using a 3.48 stroke crank.

I had the 168 tooth and one of the tapped holes for the starter was correct. I used the starter as a template and drilled and tapped the 2nd hole. Needless to say this was not very fun since I did not discover this until I already had the engine in the car.

You could also buy an aftermarket gear reduction starter. This will have multiple mounting options and save you alot of work.

Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts