Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gone fishin'
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 86 chevy 1/2 ton truck i have put in a rebuilt 350 engine with a 10.3:1 compression ratio and a 3/4 cam and a turbo 350 transmission
My problem is whenever i put the engine is i knew it was from an earlier model from the 70s but did not realize that there was a difference in the starters and flywheels because i installed a starter and flywheel from the 86 truck and always had problems shimming the starter. I took it to a shop to see if they could figure out the problem and i was told that the engine block was a 1978 year model from canada and so the shop put in a flywheel for that model engine and a matching starter, it didnt really fix the problem because it was a stock starter and my compression is to high and i am looking for a gear reduction starter that would work so my question is what is the number of teeth on the flywheel for the 78 canada block and where could i find a gear reduction starter for this flywheel
thank you

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Never heard of a "Canada" block.................do you mean it was manufactured in Canada?

There should be no difference............

·
Registered
120 Posts
There is no difference between where the blocks are made. Get a machine shop that knows Chevy engines. If you have a 78 block then you need a starter with offset mounting holes and a 168 tooth flywheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.