Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Have a 1980ish 454 block and since the day ive had it from the rebuilder the starter bolts have always been kind of weird. They never stayed tight and I always used the correct bolts, well basically theyve just been hammered over time now with starters going in and out and bolts tightening and loosening, a piece breaking off and being rewelded, that now I'm thinking maybe it would be best to start fresh with new threads... I can get the starter to tighten down and start a good few dozen times but then they all loosen up and ive even put locktite on the bolts. Theres just not enough bite on the threads on the motor end of the starter bolts

1) is there a way to drill a larger hole and use a helicoil type piece like what is used on spark plugs?

2) or possibly just drill a slightly larger hole and use bolts that will fit through the starter and thread into those new holes?

Whats the best route to go?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I had the stock starter I used the brace, I have a mini torque light weight starter now...one of the bolts is so hammered now though that only 1/2 the threads are there...the threads are really just trashed

·
More for Less Racer
20,388 Posts
A helicoil repair will likely fix you right up. The helicoil install requires the hole to be drilled oversize for the insert's special tap to cut a larger thread of the same pitch for the insert to fit in, then the stock bolt size can be re-used. Not hard to do, but might be a bit of a pain in the vehicle depending on what might be in the way of getting on it straight.

3/8"-16 thread size is the helicoil you need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts