Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
More for Less Racer
20,936 Posts
I think you are looking at a fabricate it yourself project....I've never seen or heard of one for an aftermarket mini starter....just stock braces fror the old style large motor stack starters.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Buy the way .... Those with the Thick aluminum block? They suck IMO. I had one and I could not get it to not grind sometimes. Also after about 2 years but only driving my El Camino about 5000 miles it failed. Armature started binding up and would not turn. Bought an O'Reilly stock style new starter I think a 92 Chevrolet Pick Up. It is a mini sized starter and works with my long tubes. Has the cup that goes into the flywheel that the Armature shaft is also supported in. Works great and smooth and no grinds.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buy the way .... Those with the Thick aluminum block? They suck IMO. I had one and I could not get it to not grind sometimes. Also after about 2 years but only driving my El Camino about 5000 miles it failed. Armature started binding up and would not turn. Bought an O'Reilly stock style new starter I think a 92 Chevrolet Pick Up. It is a mini sized starter and works with my long tubes. Has the cup that goes into the flywheel that the Armature shaft is also supported in. Works great and smooth and no grinds.
Yeah I’ve had a hell of a time with grinding, ruining flexplates. I have it pretty good now I think. But I thought I had it pretty good before too then it binded up on me. So I experimented with a couple different shims and laid under there with my Starter bumper, and watched. I’m missing a tooth off my new flexplate Unfortunately but I think it’s shimmed correctly. With that being said, I’m not feeling too good about it. That’s why I was asking bout the starter brace. You wouldn’t happen to have that part number would you? Or you’re sure on the year (92)? Thanks.

·
More for Less Racer
20,936 Posts
Here you go, this is the same good deal a member here posted several years ago, for the factory small diameter Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction(PMGR) starters that GM started using on all Gen 1 V-8's and the 4.3 V6 in the early 1990's
DB Electrical, they are great to deal with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.