Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey ive got a 1980 454 motor with the stock style starter, one of the bolts came loose and I didnt notice and when I started it the starter twisted and broke a chunk off the block where the outer starter bolt goes, I had a welder weld the piece back on and grind it down, seems almost perfectly smooth now where the starter sits but when I go to start it the starter makes a hard grinding noise and then a screech just before the motor actually starts. I crawled under there and saw on the flywheel it looks like the starter was just grabbing on the very tip corner of the flywheel and not fully meshing into the gears.

it started fine before the piece was rewelded on and did not need shims FYI

what to do? do I need to add shims or grind the welded area down more? I dont have a straight edge but it really seems like its perfectly flush compared to the nonwelded area

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its aligned properly and installed with the correct GM bolts and they are the same bolts that started the motor fine the day before the welding. It really looks like its just grabbing the outer corner of the flywheel.

·
Banned
2,440 Posts
well if your only catching the end of the teeth it may be off. but see if this helps before you ruin your flywheel. install this brace! also after you did this i would not of used the same starter after the repair. and shims would move it away even more from the flywheel teeth unless you put them on the back of the starter . i feel the part welded is cocked just enough to move the starter away from the flywheel to cause this. yes i would grind it more!!! also pictures would help

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh that brace is awesome! ive been looking for something like that :)

I pulled the starter and saw the bearing the drive gear kicks out into was stuck out, replaced the starter and all good now with no shims...its that coincidental crap that always screws with my head haha. Any idea on a part number for the brace or is it the same for BBC and SBC motors?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts