Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP: starter & ignition stay engaged with key off

Hey all, normally I would post in the tech section, but need some help today, and being Labor day I needed to post in the lounge.

My 73 Javelin failed for the first time yesterday...

I went to start it up and the starter stayed engaged.

Crazy part was when I went to shut it off it stayed running!

So there I was, key off, with it still running, and the starter gear still engaged with the flywheel.

I choked the carb with a rag to stall it, then I had to pull the battery cable to stop it from cranking.

Obviously something is wrong

So.....

With the key completely off, it was getting power to the starter and the ignition.

With the battery disconnected today, I was feeling the ignition positions with the key. Working the different positions. It operates normal. I thought maybe the ignition was jammed in the crank position, but all positions function normally.

Ignition switch gone bad? Even though it operates smoothly and springs back from crank position?

I know today is Labor Day, and the board will probablly be slow, but was planning on driving the car today. (beautiful day) So any help in the next few hours is appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
starter solenoid?

(starter solenoid is just like a ford)

But how would the ignition still get juice with key off?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it's just like a Ford.

(has Ford starter system, Delco distributor, everything else is AMC)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have it backwards, utilizing current rock soild products for different systems to save production costs. Was smart, ahead of it's time, and many manufactuers do it today.

Like I mentioned previously and with more detail... from the factory has a ford starter solenoid, motorcraft carb, delco distributor, 727 trans with modified case..... the rest of the vehicle is entirely AMC.

Back to the subject...

Anyone else have anything positive to contribute or wants to help me out it would be much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts