Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 350/700R4 in my pickup build with a mini HP starter and 168 tooth flexplate. With everything tight and no shims installed I have a gap of about 1/4" from flexplate to starter pinion shaft. Everything I've read has shown that gap needs to be right about 1/8" What can I do to bring these two closer together? I'm hoping to start this thing for the first time within the next month or so.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The correct way to measure for this is to engage the starter gear into the flexplate. Look closely at the flexplate to find the point where one tooth of the starter gear is engaged flush between 2 of the Flexplate gears. Using a round feeler gauge insert it between the tip of the starter gear and the gears of the flexplate. You will need a reading of about .015.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
When you purchased your high torque starter it should have came with some starter shims. You will have to add shims between the block and the starter. To shim it in to the flexplate cut the shim in half and install on outside bolt.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK that kinda makes sense. I guess by shimming the outside it will bring the angle in tighter to the flexplate. Is there too many shims that I should use? It seems like I will need quite a few to get me where I want to go.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
How much space is between the starter and flexplate? If it would take say like 4 shims something is definitely wrong. Are you sure it is the right started for the right flexplate. Flexplates 153T and 168T

·
Registered
15,632 Posts
So I have a 350/700R4 in my pickup build with a mini HP starter and 168 tooth flexplate. With everything tight and no shims installed I have a gap of about 1/4" from flexplate to starter pinion shaft. Everything I've read has shown that gap needs to be right about 1/8" What can I do to bring these two closer together? I'm hoping to start this thing for the first time within the next month or so.

Thanks!
The 168 tooth starter has a diagonal bolt mount and the 153 is straight, which one is this what you've got?

When you say the gap is 1/4 inch is this the circular or radial distance between the outside edges of the ring gear and starter pinion or is it a linear gap between the facing edges (front to rear direction) of the gears?

At 168 teeth did you count them (teeth that is) or measure the ring diameter which is 12.75 for the 153 tooth ring and 14 inches for the 14?

Bogie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.