Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to buy the starter for my Coupe Project and haven't had a gear reduction Starter before (well, not in a Hot Rod). This will be for a BBC with 10:1 Compression-I am looking for recommendations/experiences with Gear Reduction Starters as well as brands (PowerMaster, MSD, etc.)-

Which is best (cranking power, reliability, etc.) the old big Delco's or the new (to me) Gear Reduction Starters?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I went through three stock GM starters with the 454 in my pro-street car before going to a gear reduction unit. 10.5:1 cr and would actually break the housings on the GM starters. Installed a PowerMaster and never had another problem. Also have one on the early hemi in my 53 Chevy PU.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Yeah, Powermaster is good, Is your battery in front or back? will you be using a remote relay?

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies-Doc, the Battery will be mounted in the mid-rear (under the rear Window, in front of the Trunk)-as far as the Relay, I will use what you recommend (you know your stuff :D )-I was going to use a Ron Francis or Painless kit, but that is a ways off, and I am just buying Parts right now and want to do it right-I looked at the PowerMaster website, and they say you can't go overkill on a Starter, so I guess I will buy the 250 AMP model? Here is the Link:

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/starters.html

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
35WINDOW said:
Thank you for the replies-Doc, the Battery will be mounted in the mid-rear (under the rear Window, in front of the Trunk)-as far as the Relay, I will use what you recommend (you know your stuff :D )-I was going to use a Ron Francis or Painless kit, but that is a ways off, and I am just buying Parts right now and want to do it right-I looked at the PowerMaster website, and they say you can't go overkill on a Starter, so I guess I will buy the 250 AMP model? Here is the Link:

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/starters.html

Doc here, :pimp:

That should be fine, BUT, check to be sure the Battery Group Size is enough to support the CCA of the starter..The more draw the larger group Size is required...and it sounds like space is an issue, you need to find the proper balance..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doc and bates_k,

Thanks for the replies!

Doc,

I looked at the PowerMaster website and the only Spec I find is 2.5 KW 3.4 HP, so if I use an Optima Redtop (which is listed at 800 CCA) I think I should be o.k.-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts