Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SORRY I GOT A STARTER FROM AUTOZONE PART NUMBER 3510 WHEN I BOLT IT UP THE TEETH ON THE STARTER ARE ONLY GOING ABOUT 1/3 OF THE WAY INTO THE FLY WHEEL TEETH. THIS IS WITH THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE STARTER SHIMMED WITH 3 FLAT WASHERS. THIS IS ALSO THE OFFSET BOLTS. I HAVE ALL THREE BOLT HOLES ON THE BLOCK. I HAVE TRIED THE STRAIGHT ACROSS STARTER BUT THE NOSE ON THE STARTER HITS THE FLY WHEEL BEFORE MY BOLT HOLES LINE UP.168 TOOTH FLY WHEEL

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
You should be using the staggered bolt pattern starter. Sounds like the ring isn't seated against the crank flange or the convertor is pulling the plate too much. What flexplate ans crank are you using. Internal or external balanced? We NEED info. A lot of it. Post anything you can think of.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Make sure that the flexplate isn't on backwards. That will cause the problem you are describing.

The starter drive gear may not be fully extending on it's shaft.

Larry

PS, Ditch those washers and use the correct shims.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I vote for the flexplate installed backwards....You wanna know why? I did it when I built my motor and installed my new 700r4 tranny. That really pissed me off to get everything hooked up, go to install the starter and oops, it doesnt line up. :pain:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.