Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and this Mini starter May part ways soon if i have to keep bothering you guys with it.Here is the problem now!Maybe it won't be in the end...........hopefully. I know and have the shims 2 of them for this red mini starter.NOW!they show on you tube how you can use a paper clip- for clearance of gears, shims for moving the-- motor-- out further away, ,My bell housing is made in such a away.Will get picture if needed.Once the starter is mounted. You cannot see the gear and where it rides on the ring gear. Is it worth this ,messing around with $65.00 starter,Or should i just spring for another better "tuff stuff" starter I installed one of these on my LT-1 powered red convert and my 50 Merc? Or is there a good chance i can get it quieted down with just the 2 flat shims ? This little starter, turns the motor over....right quick.. the good part about it.please advise me on this- i thank you guys ahead of time again. bob s

·
More for Less Racer
19,365 Posts
I would at least try shimming it before just giving up on it.

A lot of starter fit problems depend on several variables...block machining accuracy, starter nose machining accuracy, crankshaft machining accuracy all combined with tolerance stack-up on all of those areas. You could put a different starter on it and still have the exact same need to shim it in one or both directions, just changing starter brands is absolutely no guarantee that things will automatically be just fine with no shimming required.

Basically, it is just luck of the draw.

In my overall experience with GM starters on Chevy small and big blocks, V6 and straight 6 cylinder, and Pontiac V8's it has been about a 50/50 split on whether they need shims or not.

·
Big Jim
98 Posts
I would at least try shimming it before just giving up on it.

A lot of starter fit problems depend on several variables...block machining accuracy, starter nose machining accuracy, crankshaft machining accuracy all combined with tolerance stack-up on all of those areas. You could put a different starter on it and still have the exact same need to shim it in one or both directions, just changing starter brands is absolutely no guarantee that things will automatically be just fine with no shimming required.

Basically, it is just luck of the draw.

In my overall experience with GM starters on Chevy small and big blocks, V6 and straight 6 cylinder, and Pontiac V8's it has been about a 50/50 split on whether they need shims or not.
X2 With any GM it's a crapshoot wether or not the starter needs to be shimmed. It's just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel justified in shimming this starter now-- from what you have shared with me on this ,"luck of the draw" shims on the way thanks Eric and Gearhead poppa ----GOOD Sunday to you :thumbup: bob s

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
try one shim first... never needed two shims...

This red starter i have ...HAS ---2 shims tween the starter motor to mounting blocks now.Came that way. but you also think the "aluminum mounting block" top shim needs juts one. to start? thanks BUZZLOL bob s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts