Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
were can i get some starter studs?
its a 78 truck 350. it is a 2 bolt starter straight pattern.
they are the long ones and the are the same length.

and what size are they?

·
Administrator
18,440 Posts
Starter bolts have a larger diameter than what the threads are. Have never seen studs made for this application,......................

Studs won't work, as you must slip the starter into place and then put the bolts in. If you had studs, the starter would hit the tranny as you were sliding it on.

·
Too many hobbies!
239 Posts
Poncho, correct me if I'm wrong.

If he doesn't have the flywheel cover installed, the starter should have enough room for studs.

The obvious question is why?

I've only seen broken starter bolts, when they were not tightened properly. Usually a malfunction(counterfire) will cause a broken nose cone, not broken bolts.

·
Administrator
18,440 Posts
You may be right. Some applications may have interference.

He has had a number of threads on starter problems........

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i need to weld a stud to the block(long story)

i can use one bolt and one stud if thats better.

where can i look?

·
Administrator
18,440 Posts
Take a good look at your starter bolts. They are not the same diameter all the way down. It's like that for a reason. Pretty hard to find a stud like that. Maybe a machine shop can make one for you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know that, i thought they made starter studs though.

sleeve the bolt maybe? put welds on it and grind it? take the bolt and cut the head off, and weld a short bolt (cut head)on that.

there is a way around it. i know somebody has done this before.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You can purchase the bolts at most auto parts stores in the help section. They have them at our local Canadian Tire stor for about 6 bucks. I have never seen studs used in this application.

If you have a stripped out hole or a broken block might I sugest changing the nose on the started to one of the other castings available and shimming the starter to match the flywheel.

Welding a stud to a Cast Iron block is not a good option. Too many dangers and difficulties, Cracked block, weld breaking, dissimilar metals, how to preheat the block etc.

Ric

·
Registered
159 Posts
hey i have the same problem with one of my starter bolt holes someone had put a helicoil in there and now im breaking cones i am currently looking for a new block as i need a rebuild anyways hsould i even bother paying to get my block machined?

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
You are breaking cones 'cause you don't have the starter motor brace on it. That is an angle iron looking brace that bolts onto the back of the starter motor and to the engine block supporting the tail of the starter motor and taking the stress off the flimsy nose cone. Hemis didn't need then 'cause they have good old strong cast iron starter nose cones!!

See this.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i didnt have a problem until i replaced my starter with a new one i'll look into that brace though is gm the only place to get it?

·
Registered
334 Posts
When I said this earlier "If you have a stripped out hole or a broken block might I sugest changing the nose on the started to one of the other castings available and shimming the starter to match the flywheel." One of the other castings would be one with the holes in a different location. Most blocks a drilled for 3 holes at least.

As for the the starter motor brace that is a bone yard piece usually.

As for why the cones are only breaking since you changed it. Are you sure you put the shims back in under the starter when you put it back together.

Ric

·
Administrator
18,440 Posts
Ratchet said:
Most blocks a drilled for 3 holes at least.

As for the the starter motor brace that is a bone yard piece usually.

Ric
Trouble with changing the mounting bolt locations is that, it may require changing the flywheel/flexplate......(different size)

But it beats replacing the whole motor.

I seem to remember the pics that leastbay(or someone, I can't find it) showed....he only had 2 mounting holes.

Are either of you using the front bracket, like Willys was talking about. I have run starters with a stripped bolt, and with the front bracket, it holds it in place.

·
Registered
159 Posts
no i dont have the bracket i will look for it and my starter has never been shimmed either so i didnt do it this time I have only 2 holes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts