Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Problem with shields like this is they are as good at keeping heat in as out. Racing builds a lot of heat everywhere not the the exhaust so quite a bit of heat will saturate the starter and solenoid through the castings they bolt to.

My preference is a well fastened piece of sheet metal between header and starter that will deflect header heat while allowing air circulation around the starter and solenoid.

Bogie

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Wrap the exhaust not the starter.
May cause rust. But will keep starter cool without taking up much room.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,061 Posts
You're gonna cook the starter like that.
I'd recommend adding an 18" collector extension to get the hot gasses away from it as minimum OR different set of headers.
Word, don't over grease the idler gear in the bell, they tend to collect dust and get's sticky. Dry graphite works well.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're gonna cook the starter like that.
I'd recommend adding an 18" collector extension to get the hot gasses away from it as minimum OR different set of headers.
Word, don't over grease the idler gear in the bell, they tend to collect dust and get's sticky. Dry graphite works well.
Yes. The exhaust will be routed... I just don't have the pipes in. I have a set of NASCAR boom tubes that are mounted further back and I need to fab up some exhaust pipe extensions to connect them. So the exhaust wouldn't be dumping out right there.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,061 Posts
You'll be fine then.
You could add a wrap nearest the starter for insurance but I think it'll be okay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts