Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wish I grew up in the 60's
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help locating the problem on a 1967 350 camaro. I recently changed the starter and when I went to start the car there was no power at all. The lights, radio, nothing at all worked. When I disconnect the 2 wires at the solenoid and connect them together I get power in the car ( lights and radio). I reconnected the wires to the solenoid and there's no power. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
808 Posts
colincamaro said:
I need help locating the problem on a 1967 350 camaro. I recently changed the starter and when I went to start the car there was no power at all.

You changed the starter, BUT, to what? A new one? Rebuilt the old one? Another used starter you thought was good? Give us the whole story.

As well as changing the starter did you touch ANYTHING else?

Is your solenoid fried? Wires on the solenoid correctly?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

If this was a stock starter swap, From what you describe, you may have misplaced a wire..

It sounds like, from your post, The Main Battery cable and the other wire you have Should go to the big bolt on the solenoid..(the other wire being the fuse buss support wire for the electrical system..)

The one that may be missing, Is the "S" wire. IIRC, it should be purple, and in the same small harness bundle that goes down the right side of the firewall to the starter.

These wires get wicked hot from the manifolds sometimes, and get very brittle, so the purple or "S" wire may have cracked and fallen off..you may have to untape the bundle to find it..

Search the area for that wire adrift, or undo the bundle, if you find it, It goes to the "S" terminal on the starter..(closest to the block)

Good luck!

Doc :pimp:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.