Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going to the strip on saturday...so I went through and reset my vavles tonight.....no problems before this at all.....when I finished and buttoned everything back up I try and start it....the starter just gives a whirring sound...jack it up and pull the cover and check it out.....seems the bendix is engaging the flex-plate and sticking there...move things around...free up the bendix....turn the motor over by hand...try it again....same thing....whirrs and the starter gear is stuck in the flex plate....summit protorque starter...never gave a lick of trouble before this....

any ideas

thanks
nasty

I guess I should add, ... the motor does not turn over .......

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
If the Bendix is popping out and engaging the flex plate, but is not turning it...I would have to say you have a bad Bendix.

How old is the starter?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i have an 85 GMC VANDURA G-2500 that i have had an icredible amout of trouble in the starter area.you have to get under it and bring the bendix out and use apaper clip unfolded to use for a gap between the flex plate and bendix.you can use the starter shims if you lke but usually you have to use different thickness washers or shims so you can tilt the starter to one side or the other.it is a major pain in the butt and if you have this problem you won't get around doing it the way i mentioned.later on you'll do it again.i've never had so much starter trouble in my life.it's not not your starter or your bendix.its just the adjustment.i feel for ya.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
starter is next to new.....bought it last fall and the car is not driven much....did the whole adjustment thing when I installed it....do it again I guess.....Are the gear reductions pretty tough in these...or are they prone to wear easily?....hate to put the old full size starter back on .... but I guess I have something to fall back on.....

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Starter Drive clutch

Doc here::pimp:

Sounds like the Starter drive clutch (Drive gear) Has malfunctioned.

You can replace the drive, or the whole starter, your option..Depends on if you can get a drive for it I guess...

They Take the brunt of the starting operation, so yes, they do go out...but usually last a while...

Doc :pimp:

Here is a STOCK GM
Starter/Drive to show
The gear/clutch:
Your HT will differ
Slightly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i have no less than 5 starters on the shelf and they all do the same thing.i'm not buying any more bendix or starters.i don't know if it has something to do with the block or maybe the high cylinder pres..all i do know is that i've spent alot of time under it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update to starter troubles

update.....took the starter out and pulled it apart....blew on it...scratched my head...put it back together....stuck it on the vise put 12 volts to it and of course it worked....I wish I would have put voltage to it first now...

loaded on the trailer ready to go....first time at a 1/4 mile track....it ran 8.30"s in the 1/8 last month....should do mid 12's i'm guessin

thank for your replies

nasty

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Garage Gremmies...

Doc here!:pimp:

Glad to hear it worked out, May want to check those cables (size, connections, etc..) Next time out...

Good Luck and Good Numbers in The 1/4...bring us back some info and win tickets...

Doc :pimp:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts