Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My electrical ability is weak to say the least. I have a SB 350 Chevy that I'm trying to connect a MSD Starter. Not sure of the proper post to connect the battery at. New starter but wouldn't you know it no instructions. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

The BIG empty bolt is for the battery cable, The slide terminal is for the "S" wire.

Doc :pimp:

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Just a thought here---

Doc---input please ;)

For ease of service ---- would it not be a good idea to move the starter
cable to the other post, so that the Batt. cable would be "outboard".

Thus, easier to R & R ???

Bryan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I could move the starter wire to the other post it sure would make working with that heavy wire alot easier. The only thing I see is that if you look beneath the wire on the post it looks like a flat washer but it is actually is a piece of metal that goes into the starter.
Doc, could I pull the bolts on the back side of the starter and rotate it 180??

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Probably a flat copper piece.
Might not hurt to try it----it should be moldable enough to move over.

I'd try it----even on my own starter :D

uh---are you gonna be running points???
if so---there will probably be more wiring issues.
If HEI---no more issues

Bryan

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

If he has enough strap from the starter motor to the far post on the solenoid, it would be OK, The only issue might be Heat from the headers on the outboard battery cable.

If the cable won't heat and melt, by all means do it..anything to make working with it easier..especially if your on your back!

Be careful with the copper strap..If you break it off the starter...your out of luck! If you need to bend it at all, be sure you tightly secure the starter end of it so it can't move before attempting to bend it.

You might want to pull the solenoid off, and check the solenoid for multiple mounting holes for "Clocking" the solenoid..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the ideas. I will give it a try. I'm running HEI so that shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts