Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Duck Tape & WD 40
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would it take for me to start my own car club? What would I have to do in order to do this? I've been wanting to start a club type thing for awhile now. There isn't really that much for hot rods and stuff in Maine that I know about and I want to try to start something. Any input would be helpful

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
What about advertising it in your high-school newspaper? Do you have a shop class there? I think the most important thing is just to be organized, and to make sure you're learning something. Handing out, reading and discussing articles in super chevy mag is not a bad idea. Going to car shows and swap meets would be cool too.

K

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
I think it depends on what you're lookin to do.You gonna do shows and sponosr events? thats a little tricky and probably requires some "tax advice". Or do you and a bunch of your friends wanna hang around a cruise? If so, come up with a name make some t-shirts. The "cost" to get in your club could be the price of the shirt (which you get for "free") Im sure you could also do some "initiation" ceremony too (after all "hazing" is always fun!) you can get some car plaques made up and voila your a club, you and your guys can go to shows together and get a little banner to put next to your cars. Maybe get a WWW site and have "monthly" meetings...

My dad is a member of "golden state rods" they are a Big club, but the only thing you do to join is buy a jacket...

·
Administrator
18,437 Posts
My experiences with car clubs is not good. You have to have the right people..they ALL have to be interested in doing it right.

Although, I enjoyed the camaraderie etc, it usually ends up that one or two do all the work and the rest just want to drink, smoke dope etc.

Just my experience.

BTW, how would you like to be in a club with this bunch...............:nono:

had a few nice cars though.....

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
Oh man Poncho thats like a page out of my history!!

I grew up in the 70's and those what the "hot rodders" in my neighborhood looked like... same with the cars. I think the first car I ever wanted was a 72 nova with hooker headers ( i didnt even know what those were!)

I can almost hear "Free Bird" playin in the background of your pix!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Poncho, let me guess, you're the one on the far right, top row (right corner):D am I right???

I've thought about opening a car club. It's be a continuation of a silly thing me and my friends have. I'd call it "The Dukes" and make some shirts for it. Get together on weekends to work on our cars in the afternoon, hit the streets in the evening. Cruise Nights or just go hang out somehwere showing off you cars. Attend car shows and stuff. But most importantly, just have fun with your friends and cars!

Mike

·
Administrator
18,437 Posts
Nightfire said:
Poncho, let me guess, you're the one on the far right, top row (right corner):D am I right???

Mike
Not even close................I am the one right in the middle with the glasses.

BTW.............the one you picked is now a miltimillionaire..........................Not fair, isn't it.

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
to get started you just have to get the word out and drum up a little interest, you dont have to be super organized at first just get together on a regular basis and go from there.:cool:

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
food for thought

I think you maybe overlooking a few things. You need to register yourself as an organization. Otherwise all the members would be individually responsible in case of law suits. For eg; If you held a rally and someone was hurt or killed at the event. Each member would be taken to court and would have to pay his own legal fees and liabilty costs.
As an organization, all are taken to court as one. Then there is the purchase of liability insurance. If you are not a registered organization. You cannot get insurance for public events.
Even if you were to work on a buds car and it fell on you. What then? If you have a shop that you can all share. That opens a new can of worms.

·
Duck Tape & WD 40
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we do have a school paper. I think I'll try that first and see what I can drum up for interest. Probably at first it would just be me and a bunch of my close friends that like working on cars and whatnot. Any suggestions for a name I was thinking something like MHA (Maine hotrod association). Any other good ideas on what I could do to maybe drum up interest?

thanks, Wayne

·
Administrator
18,437 Posts
Silentlion_69 said:
Oh and by the way I'm really serious about this.

hey poncho, I like the challenger in that pic with the cars.
Apparently the Chalenger is put away in a garage somewhere in town.

Nightfire said:
Which car was yours poncho?

Mike
The gold 70 Chevelle.............SS454 LS6

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
You're kind of old, Ponch. :D Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts