Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be a good product that would require little investment (under $3000) to start making that would be universal yet would help people out. i was thinking to make neon wiring kits that were basically plug and use and you can switch a card to get different effects.

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
That is too open ended a question to answer as you asked it. It is safe to say that 100% of the time a successful business starts as a passion of the owner and that his product or service provides something that someone wants, further it does it better or cheaper or for the first time. You would be well advised to keep your eyes and ears open looking for a solution to problems that real people are having. When you decide what widget or service you want to provide, then you need some sort of business plan. This doesn't need to be a formal written one (although if you want bank financing it will need to be), but it must give a detailed plan of how you want to do your venture. Who/how big is your client base, would they buy your product, how do you plan to advertise, how many can you/do you want to make, what is your TRUE production cost (99.99% of people starting a small business are both under capitalized and don't properly understand their cost of doing business. Fore example, if your markup for wholesale items is not at least 100%, you are probably going out of business soon).

It goes without saying, the thing you do has to be something you are the absolute best at. You almost have to apprentice for quite a while at anything that requires any amount of skill. Anything that you can do that doesn't require a specialized talent or skill will nt be very profitable 'cause by definition, anyone can do it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know exactly what your saying because ive researched and made business plans for 3 businesses. so im formillar with that. i was kinda asking for different and unique ideas that would bring something new to the hotrod world that can in a way put my name out there.

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Wow! At 16 I was still playing tag and looking at girls. I didn't have a clue what a business plan was, let alone having written three already.

The basic advice is still the same though, go look for a product that people need and that you can get fired up about. Ideas that solve real world problems are the best ones. I have many great ideas but I am not going to tell them to you. I want to make a fortune off them myself!

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
I would think, that anyone with an idea about the next hotrodding "trend", might not be so willing to give it up! and for free!!
:mwink:

Are you really "in the process" starting a business? or is this a school project? Or or you just giving yourself something to think about, while you avoid homework? I saw your post about "Company Names" in the lounge.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a little bit of everything... mostly to keep me occupied because everytime i get an idea for a business i go and reasearch it out and see what it would take to start it. and i do hope to start a business as soon as im 18. so far i written plans for an arcade, a gaming cafe, and of course a shop.

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
I did a plan for an arcade once too! Turns out the county I live in has a limit for the amount of machines you can have! AT least you have dreams, When I was 16, I only thought about ONE THING!!
:nono:

How about a Internet Cafe/Arcade/Rod Shop/ MMORPG Spot??

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sometimes you have to move on your plans.
My uncle used to say in business a person needs to take a bite, if the bite is too large, keep chewing.
The business may not work out the first time and no one can plan enough for all the twist and turns.
Its one thing to dream and research, next is to activate the plan and make it work.
Dutch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.