Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have done several projects over the last several years such as installing a 12v cummins in a 89 K3500 but now i am starting in on a 58 apache and having trouble figuring out what direction to go with it, Hot rod or Stock. Was thinking of installing 454 but also think stock would be worth more. I had a 58 years ago and loved it with the 235 and 3 on the tree. Any sugestions welcome Thanks

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
Well personally I like the 235 with a three speed idea. I have gotten so that I am tired of cars that drive and run like a late model. I love the feeling I get driving an old car, so I am going to leave all mine more like they were when made.

And WELCOME!

Brian

·
Dennis W. Parks
56 Posts
'58 Chevy truck build

Hot rod or stock, which to build? Which would you prefer to drive, or are you planning to sell it as soon as you are finished? Personally, I think a well done hot rod truck would sell for more money than a well done resto.

I know everyone is putting Mustang II front suspensions in their trucks (that is what I'll be doing with my '55 Chevy), but for something a little different, have you considered installing a dropped axle in front with some monoleaf springs out back? This would allow you to sort of split the difference between resto and hot rod, but still get the truck out of the stratosphere.

Dennis W. Parks
Author of automotive how-to books

·
Dennis W. Parks
56 Posts
Not saying that you can't go with a subframe, as there are lots of them out there. But, that requires you to re-engineer several other things after you cut the front portion of your stock frame off the vehicle. You have to verify that you have a compatible subframe, make radiator mounts, mount the sheet metal, etc. If you keep your stock frame and install a Mustang II crossmember, you can rather easily go back to stock if you ever wanted to. But, once you cut the frame off for a subframe swap, there is no turning back.

Dennis W. Parks

·
Dennis W. Parks
56 Posts
sub-frame swap

Again, I'm sure there are some good sub-frame swaps out there, but I know there are some that absolutely ruined an otherwise good frame. Of course, you have to know how to measure to install a Mustang II crossmember, but that is still considerably easier than an entire subframe. Just look at all the ads you see that have subframes in them and then look at the wear on the tires.

Dennis W. Parks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.