Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 corvette with a 350 sbc engine.---Just installed a starter.---Had to add 4 shims in order for 1/8 plug gage to fit between flywheel and starter shaft.--The problem i have is when i turn key to crank the engine i get a brrrr sound.--I than charged the battery and than the the starter cranked the engine and it started. ---When i let the car set for 15 min. ---It would not start and i got the same brrr sound and the engine did not crank.--Than i hooked up the battery charger and it showed that the battery had a drain.--So i charged the battery up and than the engine started again.---This time i turned off engine and counted for 10 seconds and the engine started right up and could do this time and time again but when i let the car set for a short time it would not start and than would charge the battery again in-order to get the car started again.----I pulled the coil wire off and the starter was cranking the engine.---I just put on a new alternator and it is working well.--The battery is good.---I checked it with a load tester and it holds 11 volts for 15 seconds at 800 cold cranking amps.-I also checked the battery with my volt meter and it is at 12.5 volts.---Could i have an elecrtical problem in the ign. switch or the high resistance wire or the neutral switch.---Thanks guys, Please help.---Thanks again guys..

·
Registered
601 Posts
Was this the reason for the starter change? Check all lights and accessories such as dome light, glovebox light etc. that could be on draining the batt! Is there an arc when you connect the batt.? If you have an DVOM, connect it between the batt grd post and cable to see how much draw there is on the amp scale.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes --The reason i put on the starter was for this same reason.--No there is no drain on the battery.---I have a battery shut off switch on the negative battery cable and shut the battery down for the night.--I also put a test light between the negative battery cable and the post and the light does not come on but when i turned on the headlights the test light came on.---No drain on battery only when i try to start the car than the battery drains down.--No i do not have a DVOM but will buy one if this is what i need to check out problem---I did a test today.--Disconnected coil primary lead at the coil negative terminal to prevent engine from firing during cranking.--Than i connected voltmeter between primary terminal of coil (resistance wire side) and ground. Than i made sure i had a full battery charge than i operated starting motor The volt meter showed 9 volts cranking at a normal cranking rate for 15 seconds.---Than when i turned off key and than turned the key back on the engine would not rotate.--Than i checked the battery and it was dead.-----Than i finished test ---Ignition Switch.--With the volt meter connected as with cranking volt test i turned on ignition switch to on.--Voltage should drop to 5 to 7 volts as current is now passing through high resistance wire connected between ignition switch and positive terminal of coil.---The current did not drop it stayed at 12 volts.--I made sure the points were closed inorder for volts to drop but did not.--Hey WRENCHER---Thanks for your repy --Any help would be needed.---Thanks again guys...

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
One thing at a time.......

Doc here:pimp:

Lets deal with one thing at a time here....

Does just the solenoid click, or does it just turn slow?

First, Corvette's are notorious for having bad ignition switches Especially on the adjustable steering columns...Corrosion collectors.

Don't remember if the 69's had them or not...

Get a good electrical cleaner and spray the inside of the switch while working it through the detents. One of Mine had just that problem last year. That cured it.

To test The Starter, just bypass the switch with a hand remote Starter and try it, (or a Screwdriver from solenoid to main bolt)If it cranks, rule out the starter and power wires...

Second, Grounds and Corrosion are a matter of contention on ANY Corvette...

Due to the high heat generated inside the passenger Compartment from no insulation, on a 100 degree day, as you know, it can get to 170 inside from Engine , pipes and transmission heat...

water gets trapped inside a Closed Corvette, and since there is a lack of metal turns to dew, and corrodes wires and anything it can settle on.

CLEAN any corrosion you find...(you should inspect once a year)Pull the center console and main panel to do this.

Next, The Corvette has Several timed Courtesy lights, including one UNDER the car around the back, any one of these stuck on, or the timing unit will run the battery down. The Glove box light will do the same as well as the hood light...check all these and eliminate them.

Tip: Corvette used the Ground as a switched control circuit for all it's items as opposed to switching power...IE the unit is wired "HOT IN RUN" and the switch provides a ground, If you added after-market Items, be sure their ground isn't series feeding power to another item. (use solid grounds, not existing wires..)

Next, Sounds like you have a bad regulator. If it's solid state it can "Leak" while in off...drawing current from the battery. If it's mechanical, It can be stuck or Crow-bared shut at the points. and have the same effect. Check and / or Replace the Regulator.

Finally, If you are getting 12 volts at the coil, you need a resistor or damage to the points and coil can result. Be Sure and install one right away.

Doc :pimp:

Example of a ground
control system on wipers
NOTE: The ground is switched
and wiper motor is hot always.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey DOC---Thanks for your reply.---The solenoid does not click.---I had a friend turn the ignition key a i had my hand on the starter motor and all it does is CHATTER loudly.--I have some good electronic wire cleaner will try that.---I do not have a remote starter but will buy one.---Sounds like a great way to rule out the ignition switch.---You kind of lost me on the screwdriver test.--(put a screwdriver from solenoid to main bolt).---What part of the solenoid do you touch ????--And to what main bolt?????---What i did was hook up a jumper wire to the battery terminal of the solenoid and the small (s) terminal of the solenoid and the motor turns over real good.---What does this tell us????--Thanks for your help..........DOC----I eagerly await your reply...

By hooking up a jumper wire to the battery terminal of the solenoid and the small (s) terminal and the engine spins real good tell us that the power wires and the starter motor is good but how about the solenoid????---Does this also mean that the ignition switch might be bad????I had two weeks ago one tail light on the right side go real dim.--I solved the problem by adding another ground wire from the tail light ground to the frame of the car.--The regulator is in the alternator.----The solenoid has an two small wire terminals one is the (s) terminal the second is the (r) terminal which i believe is the high resistance wire.---Than we have the BAT terminal with another wire that connects to the BAT terminal and goes to the horn relay.---So here is how every-thing is wired Battery cable to solenoid BAT terminal with another wire going from Bat terminal to the horn relay.--The (s) terminal wire goes from the (s) terminal on the solenoid to the neutral switch and than to the ignition switch.---The (r) terminal (high resistance wire) goes from the (r)_ solenoid terminal to the (plus) on the coil and than to the ignition switch.-----The hot wire from the horn relay goes to the alternator.---I hope all this will help...Thanks again

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Switch

Doc here:pimp:

If it turns over by jumping the solenoid then you can rule out the starter, solenoid , or starter Ground. or main power to it

The prime suspects would be :

Ignition switch (I put this first because they go bad so often on Corvette)....Spray or clean or replace

Neutral Safety Switch or Clutch switch out of adjustment or dirty....Spray or adjust or replace if bad.

Wires Between the Ignition switch and starter solenoid loose, burned, or dirty .....Inspect and clean.

From what you say, you were not having dead batteries at all, but the starter was intermittent right?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey DOC----Let me first tell you what a great person you are to offer all this good advice.---What i did today was to think about the problem i had 2 weeks ago when i started the engine the wiper door went up and would not come down.---After trouble-shooting the headlight and wiper door vacuum systems.--I believed there was a vacuum hose off the vacuum solenoid switch.---I looked in the 1969 corvette service manual and showed this switch was on the back of the Tach. upper part---It was showed as a valve.--I could not find this switch on the back of the Tach. upper part of tach. I pulled some of the dash panels off to look in the back of the Tach. and what i found is that the vacuum solenoid switch was on the lower part of the Tach.---I replaced vacuum hose and the headlights and vacuum door stytem all worked fine.---Why i mention all this is because what i also remmembered doing was turning on a toggle switch which i had noticed before but never touched.---I believe this could be to the alarm system that might not work.--So today i turned off the toggle switch and turned off the wiper over ride switch and guess what the engine starts up all day long.---Tomorrow i will turn off one of the 2 switches and find out which one is causeing the problem.---I am retired and bought the corvette 2 years ago and am going to all the car shows in Michigan.--And am learning to do repairs myself.--I gained some good information from you this week --Thanks Again..

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
anti theift

Doc here :pimp:

Yup, the stock AT system would cause that too. Usually they are abandoned for a new Wiz bang system that starts your car, warms your seats...serves you drinks at 4 pm....:D LOL

The C1-C3's are great cars and real classics...I love 'em....from my first , a 1956 to all the one's I have now....I have had a C1-C3 since I was 17 years old...(back before Fred Flintstone was a teamster..)

My Friends and lady say's ... why not trade some in on a NEW one....

How absurd...Those have a warranty....Nothing to fix....and just what would I do with all these Tools, Huh??

Besides, you can still wrench on 'em Without a Kennedy Space Center Console...

Glad To hear ya found it!
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey DOC----Let me first tell you what a great person you are to offer all this good advice.---What i did today was to think about the problem i had 2 weeks ago when i started the engine the wiper door went up and would not come down.---After trouble-shooting the headlight and wiper door vacuum systems.--I believed there was a vacuum hose off the vacuum solenoid switch.---I looked in the 1969 corvette service manual and showed this switch was on the back of the Tach. upper part---It was showed as a valve.--I could not find this switch on the back of the Tach. upper part of tach. I pulled some of the dash panels off to look in the back of the Tach. and what i found is that the vacuum solenoid switch was on the lower part of the Tach.---I replaced vacuum hose and the headlights and vacuum door stytem all worked fine.---Why i mention all this is because what i also remmembered doing was turning on a toggle switch which i had noticed before but never touched.---I believe this could be to the alarm system that might not work.--So today i turned off the toggle switch and turned off the wiper over ride switch and guess what the engine starts up all day long.---Tomorrow i will turn off one of the 2 switches and find out which one is causeing the problem.---I am retired and bought the corvette 2 years ago and am going to all the car shows in Michigan.--And am learning to do repairs myself.--I gained some good information from you this week --Thanks Again..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts