Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 chevrolet crap piece i mean caprice. Its my engine donor car. the car has been switched to carbureted and has a fuel cell a with a fuel pump switch and it has a push button start switch. I had to change out the ignition cylinder to get the steering wheel to unlock as the old one was broken. All I want to do is try turning the motor over...I have no idea what problems the car has and i want to start it but i cant get it to turn over or even try to. im not sure if the passkey system is still hooked up but i don't see what it would matter as it has a msd ignition and the starter is run to the push button from what I can tell. the ignition switch is just needed to provide power to the run accessories.... what can i do to straight wire the starter on the lt1 to see if she turns over? Im sorry if this is overly worded but i am just trying to cram info in there.

Attachments

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Short small post on teh starter, usually labeled s to the battery cable attached to the starter with a screwdriver or a jumper switch and it should crank as long as the battery and ground are good.

·
More for Less Racer
20,175 Posts
Have you checked the neutral safety switch up under the dash, on the top of the column?? It only allows signal to the starter if column lever/collar is in either the park or neutral position.

It can be bypassed, the wire to the starter is the purple with a white tracer on it, just make a jumper wire to bypass the switch..

A direct Hot wire to starter would be 12V+ power to starter button, then from button to inner(block side of starter) small post on starter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iv not jumped the starter yet it doesn't look as if i can. the neutral safety switch should have been deleted as who ever did all this put a b&m shifter in

·
More for Less Racer
20,175 Posts
iv not jumped the starter yet it doesn't look as if i can. the neutral safety switch should have been deleted as who ever did all this put a b&m shifter in
Doesn't mean they took it out of the circuit, and moved with down to the B&M shifter, as most idiots skip this step and only hook the shift cable to the shifter and trans, screw the shifter to the floor, and call it good.

Check to see by tracing wire or checking that the column cover is in park or neutral position(if it was originally column shift).

It is just a simple circuit, start at the starter small post and start tracing backwards until you find 12V+ power. If you have 12V+ into the button, and nothing out to starter, it could be the button, as a common cheap lighted "ricer" style button does not have the load capacity to handle starter solenoid amperage for long.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took a look and the neutral safety is getting current and in the correct position. I am going to put a jumper cable on the battery positive and bridge the wire between the battery positive and the other see if she kicks out. I'm hoping that its something simple that has stopped this cars previous owner from driving it. Maybe its the starter or botched wiring lol. I will say they didn't go the cheap route looks like they had money but not knowledge.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
took apart the starter and cleaned some corrosion out of the solenoid and it works great now engine even starts and runs thanks for the help guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts