Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Change the oil and start it. Check all the fluids and fuel system first. Then look for animal nests. If it is a built engine you might want to prime it.

My 323 mopar sat for 6 years and it fired right up. My 440 has a big cam and when stored the rocker shafts are released. Otherwise no problems.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
When you fire it up cycle it as if it were new. Run it around 15 minutes around 2000 RPM. This assures the cam gets plenty of lube which will prevent it from wiping out a few lobes which is a common occurance on engines that have sat for a given number of time and not cycled upon restart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 302 started right up after sitting for 12 years.

Used an oil pump primer on electric drill to build up oil pressure. Then turned the engine over with starter motor while spinning the oil pump with the drill to make sure oil was getting to the bearings.

Put the distributor back in and fired it up.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so I changed the oil and filled the new filter first. let the electric feul pump fill the carb and released the choke and the darn thing started better then fule injection. Came right up to 2000rpm and I left it there for 10 minutes. before kick down to idle.

Absolutly no lifter noise ,got pressure immediatly. . I love this motor .
Thanks for all the tips. :welcome:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.