Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BB chev in my 37 with short tube headers, not block huggers, and as is typical it doesn't want to start after its warm. I have tried a reflector wrap, not good. I have an aluminum heat sheild on it currently, better but not good. Of course nothing on it was also no good. Even when it's a cold start it is slow to turn over for about a 1/4 of a rev. then it will take of great. I had the starter tested and it is supposedly fine, but it still doesn't like to work warm, when it will act like it's got axle greese in it. I am open to anything. Thanks

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Switching to a Ford style solenoid will solve all of your problems with non of the wrap or heat shield nonsense... Go here and do a little reading...
Catalog
This is what you need. Also make sure ALL of your cables are in good shape and large enough to do the job.
Mark

·
Administrator
18,647 Posts
Another trick is to install a switch to shut off the ignition until you get it cranking and then switch it on.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
"I forgot to mention I have already installed a ford remote silaniod. "
Okay! Quoting this from your OTHER thread I see you have a remote "solenoid". That being the case make sure the battery cables you are using are large enough for the job and everything is well grounded. You can't have to many grounds and your cables should be at least 1/0.
Mark

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Starter problems

Buy a Hi-Torque Mini Starter. They are small enough that air can circulate all around them. It's what I have to use on my big block. A regular starter wouldn't fit between the block and headers.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
A remote solenoid will only solve the issue if the solenoid itself is getting hot. If the starter motor is getting hot and failing the remote wont help.
Have you tried disabling the ignition to see if it turns better. You could have a timing issue, heat issue or just a weak starter. The bench tests that the parts stores do on starters is useless. They are at room temperature and have no load on them. Are you sure the starter you have is actually for a Big block and not a small block. There is a difference.
If the ignition test does not yield positive results, have the battery tested and also see what the cranking load is.
All other things taken out of the picture, a hot engine is harder to turn than a cold one.
I am most suspicious of your timing because you said it also does it cold just not as bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.