Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the engine from a guy with about 10,000 miles on a rebuild. Mild build with all the paperwork from the machine shop. It had been sitting in his garage for a few months. He pulled the engine before selling the truck it was in. I installed it in my nova. New oil, edelbrock intake, carb ... I have it all hooked up ready to go. Upon starting it I had a little white smoke coming from the exhaust. Once I took it down the road it started smoking the alot out of the drivers exhust pipe. The smoke smells like coolant. I drove it on the highway for about 10 miles and the smoke stopped. Once I got off the highway back to the house and sat at the red light the smoke came back and smoked out the car behind me. I got it home still smoking. I am hoping it is just the intake gasket leaking and not the head. I still have the guys number if he screwed me on the engine. Is there anyway I can tell? I plan on taking the intake off today if the rain gives me a break.

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
coolant leak.....

Hi,did you put the intake manifold on? if so,did you use the gaskets on the front and rear of the manifold?
when i replace an intake manifold,i do NOT use end gaskets. i ALWAYS take a centerpunch,and put punch marks about every 1/2 inch,along front and rear of block -manifold surface, then i put about a 3/16 bead of RTV,along those surfaces,and up about 1/4 inch onto the side gaskets.BUT,your coolant smell , could also be coming from either a blown head gasket,or from not putting sealant on the head bolts that go into the water ports.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Fasazu said:
I bought the engine from a guy with about 10,000 miles on a rebuild. Mild build with all the paperwork from the machine shop. It had been sitting in his garage for a few months. He pulled the engine before selling the truck it was in. I installed it in my nova. New oil, edelbrock intake, carb ... I have it all hooked up ready to go. Upon starting it I had a little white smoke coming from the exhaust. Once I took it down the road it started smoking the alot out of the drivers exhust pipe. The smoke smells like coolant. I drove it on the highway for about 10 miles and the smoke stopped. Once I got off the highway back to the house and sat at the red light the smoke came back and smoked out the car behind me. I got it home still smoking. I am hoping it is just the intake gasket leaking and not the head. I still have the guys number if he screwed me on the engine. Is there anyway I can tell? I plan on taking the intake off today if the rain gives me a break.
I would call the guy up. Did he not mention that?

·
Livin in ChevHelle
33 Posts
Fasazu said:
I am hoping it is just the intake gasket leaking and not the head.. Is there anyway I can tell? I plan on taking the intake off today if the rain gives me a break.

Im thinking you could pull a compression test on the bank of cylinders that is emitting steam/smoke/condensation to rule out cylinder (or cylinders) low on compression..IE a head gasket issue. If all cylinders were up to snuff, odds are its the intake leaking in an intake runner. If you have the tools, a cylinder comp test is cheap, simple and can be done in less time vs pulling the intake manifold only to discover its faulty head/head gasket seal...IMO.....

Now that I think about it..I can pull an intake purdy darn quickly anymore! :mwink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I did pull the intake and had some rad fluid around the intake runners for cylinders 3 and 5. The other bank of cylinders had gasket stuck to both the intake and block. The (assumed) leaking side gasket stick only to the block the intake had no gasket material stuck to it. What is a good gasket to use (fel-pro?) for the edelbrock intake? If it continues to smoke after I reinstall I want to rule out the intake as the problem. Also there is no water in the oil so I hope this is the problem.

·
Livin in ChevHelle
33 Posts
Fasazu said:
Thanks for the info. I did pull the intake and had some rad fluid around the intake runners for cylinders 3 and 5. The other bank of cylinders had gasket stuck to both the intake and block. The (assumed) leaking side gasket stick only to the block the intake had no gasket material stuck to it. What is a good gasket to use (fel-pro?) for the edelbrock intake? If it continues to smoke after I reinstall I want to rule out the intake as the problem. Also there is no water in the oil so I hope this is the problem.
Fel-Pro gaskets are fine, they have been used to assemble engines for quite some time... While you have the intake off, grab a dependable/accurate straight edge and verify that all your mating surfaces are nice and flat. I use a generic 24" construction "square"... Check both the intake manifold as well as the cylinder heads...It could save you some headache.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well took my time reinstalling the intake, made sure it was sealed up especially around the water passages (rtv). Just fired it up and sure enough it still steams. At this point I'm going to have to go with head gasket or heads. First is there any way I can tell which other than pulling the heads off. I e-mailed the guy I bought it from and ask him to come clean. I doubt I get a response but maybe. Now if it is the head cracked what is a good budget head to go with. The car has a mild 454 lift and is a cruiser not looking to drag just want nice low end. I have GM stock 883 heads on it now. What are your suggestions?

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
Still leaking into exhaust ???????

DO A COMPRESSION TEST. if you have 2 cylinders side by side with low compression,you have a blown head gasket.if not blown, chances are that the head bolts did not have sealant put on them before being installed.some of the head bolts go into the water passages. thats why you NEED sealant on them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is the head bolts, can I replace them one at a time with new ARP head bolts? Where do I put sealant to make sure this doesn't happen again. I will do a compression test today to find out which problem I have. Thanks again for the advise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well took the engine out and too the machine shop. It has a cracked head and rust in the cylinders. Needless to say I am having it rebuilt. Thanks for the suggestions. Buyer Beware..... never again will I buy a complex machine from anyone other than a machine shop with warranty!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.