Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"Drive It Until It Breaks"
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some opinions on something. I'm converting a '66 Mustang from I6 to V8(302). I have most of the parts I need. Some were bought new and others came off of a another '66 Mustang parts car that was originally a 289. The Mustang has power steering which I want to keep, so I'm going to get the parts for the V8 power steering from ChockStang. The question I have is in reference to removing the engine to do the work. I had initially planned on pulling the engine and transmission to do the work, but after thinking about it, I would much rather have the car still driveable, so I can get it to the shop for a alignment after the work is finished. My question is does anyone know of any issues that I may run into trying to do the work with the engine still mounted? I'm not sure whether or not there would be any type of clearance issues when I get started. I'm replacing all the suspension and steering parts with parts that will support the 302. And I'm also going to do the Shelby Drop while everything is off.

·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Just wasn't sure if when I started putting the V8 components on, there would be an issue. I thought I remembered reading something somewhere about clearances issues when converting to a V8. I've read so many posts and articles now that everything is starting to run together. But thanks for the response.

·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad you brought that up. So, the last time I spoke with ChockStang and bought the disc brake it for the front, he really taught me a lot. And he told me that the V6 steering components wouldn't work with the V8 upgrade. he explained if I sent the original V6 stuff to him, everything after the steering gear box, he would give me credit for that stuff and send me all the V8 components I would need and I just pay the difference. I've read about how the OEM power steering system was prone to leak and have problems. How difficult is it to install the Borgeson system and does it work with the stock steering components?

·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can disregard that last post. I'm reading up on it now and I think I will stick with the stock power steering. For the amount driving I do with the car and how I drive it, the stock power steering should be fine. Also according to Chock, the steering gear boxes that came in those cars are pretty good and I actually have a extra one in my shop that can be rebuilt to replace the one that's currently in there.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
a friend with a bunch of old mustangs has done all the upgrades over the years, he did the electric power steering most recently which he doesn't care for but his wife likes. he says the borgeson is the most pleasant to drive, for him. he has one with a Coyote engine and a double a-arm conversion which drives really well but is a huge project for the average person

1 - 8 of 8 Posts