Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Im switching from a small to big block in my 71 Nova. I was told that while doing this swap I will need to swap from power steering(which the car already has) to manual steering. Well I bought a manual steering box off a 1970 big block Nova and it looks the be almost the exact same size as my power steering box. Can anyone tell me if I actually need to switch to manual steering for this conversion or can I keep my power steering. Also if I do have to switch to manual steering, will the Rag joint off the power steering box fit on the manual steering box? The box I bought came with the actual box and the Pitman arm, but no rag joint. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for everyones time.

Rob

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
IIRC, big-block Novas were available with power steering from the factory. You may run into steering gear clearance problems if you are using small-block motor mount frame brackets. Big-block frame brackets move the engine a little to the right.

BB cars also used a trans crossmember with the mount holes offset to the right. All T400 crossmembers are offset, as are the BB stick crossmembers, but I hear the standard manual/T350/PG crossmember can have the holes elongated so everything will line up if you're not using a T400.

The steering couplers are different, I believe because the steering gear input shafts are of different diameter.

You may need to check your heater box clearance also. BB Novas used a different heater box & core.

The fan shrouds may also be different due to the engine offset, but I don't know for sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts