Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but only found info on the pumps.

I have a 68 bird with a power steering box leak. I have checked local part stores for a rebuild kit or at least some gaskets but no luck. Even dealer dosnt sell anything. Everyone just wants to sell me the whole box.

Dose anyone where I can get a seal kit or something for the box??

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
A goods parts store should have them.

But unless your an experienced mechanic I would advise against it. They are a booger.

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jimfulco,

I will give it a shot. I dont know what the seals look like without taking it apart.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
It takes special tools and some good machinist training to rebuild these units. We have done several, but only because my partner is a retired master tool and die maker with lots of experience with TRW and his own shop. He makes the tools from brass to remove the old seals and races and for reinstalling. All have been hard to find units with very little chance of finding a good one.

Trees

It takes special tools and some good machinist training to rebuild these units. We have done several, but only because my partner is a retired master tool and die maker with lots of experience with TRW and his own shop. He makes the tools from brass to remove the old seals and races and for reinstalling. All have been hard to find units with very little chance of finding a good one.

Trees

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My main concern is replacing the seals. The unit works flawlessly. Is it that difficult to change the seals? I think maybe "rebuild" was a bad word to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts