Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 67 mustang coupe 289. I am in the process of rebuilding the suspension and steering and have removed all steering linkage but the box nad pitman arm. I would like to clean and paint the box, as well replace column seals. However, I would prefer not to go through the hassle of removing the steering column.

So, my question, can I remove the box w/o removing the steering column. If so, do I just remove the mounting bolts on the frame or is the column somehow locked on to the box.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
YES or NO.
If your car has the 2-piece steering shaft, evidenced by the presence of a "rag"-joint between the box and column near the frame, then yes!
If the column tube seats on the steering box, then no, UNLESS you can raise the car enough to slide the box down and withrdraw the steering shaft from the column from below. Neither likely nor really sensible.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
It is a royal pain in the butt unless you are a rubber jointed 125 # guy. If you are a wide body, then you may consider removing the seat. You must remove the steering wheel and then start unbolting the column at the dash. If my memory serves me, you also have to unbolt the clutch/brake bracket from the firewall as well as remove the master cylinder. If you have 3 on the tree, you will have to disconnect the linkage at the column. I think you can unplug the wiring harness near where it enters the column. If not, you will have to disconnect the turn signal wires and horn wire and pull out of the column. Now you remove the rubber insulator where the column goes thru the firewall. At this point you still have your sanity, unbolt the box from the frame and pull out at the bottom.

Good luck!!!

Trees

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.