·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited a 1971 Chevrolet 2wd C10 pickup. It has power steering and
a column shift automatic transmission (turbo 350). The problem is I am WAY
to big to drive the truck. The steering wheel is huge and the column sticks
way out over the seat. I have ordered a new, smaller steering wheel. It
helps, but not enough. I need a tilt column that sets the steering wheel as close as possible to the dash. It appears that if I could find a column that was 3 or 3 � inches shorter, (provided that the neutral switch, wire harness and transmission linkage were in the same location as the stock column) it could do the trick. I don't want to take the column out and not be able to move the truck. I have limited space at my home and I have to occasional move the truck, (though it is very, very tight) until my garage is built. Starting this spring :thumbup: . Does any one have dimensions from a stock column of this year or any suggestions? :confused:

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
someone that owned my dad's '72 had the same problem. they put on a small Momo steering wheel, it's ugly, but it's small and works. my dad's not that small ither. nice looking wheels are sold in the same size as the momo's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matt167 said:
someone that owned my dad's '72 had the same problem. they put on a small Momo steering wheel, it's ugly, but it's small and works. my dad's not that small either. nice looking wheels are sold in the same size as the momo's.
Thanks Matt167, I have just put a grant challenger steering wheel on it, 13 1/2" is diam. and 2 1/2" deep with a slim install kit. Like I said it helped, but I need more, another 3" at least. I measured the column from the dash to the cone, it was just less the four inches, but I can see the wire slot without taking out the column, the company I have been talking too said they could make a steering column but it would take at least a month. If I could just get the dimensions of the tube, wire slot, neutral switch from the cone down that would be enough for me to design the new column.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
glayman said:
I just inherited a 1971 Chevrolet 2wd C10 pickup. It has power steering and
a column shift automatic transmission (turbo 350). The problem is I am WAY
to big to drive the truck. The steering wheel is huge and the column sticks
way out over the seat. I have ordered a new, smaller steering wheel. It
helps, but not enough. I need a tilt column that sets the steering wheel as close as possible to the dash. It appears that if I could find a column that was 3 or 3 � inches shorter, (provided that the neutral switch, wire harness and transmission linkage were in the same location as the stock column) it could do the trick. I don't want to take the column out and not be able to move the truck. I have limited space at my home and I have to occasional move the truck, (though it is very, very tight) until my garage is built. Starting this spring :thumbup: . Does any one have dimensions from a stock column of this year or any suggestions? :confused:
Take your tape measure and do some measureing.... you can find a shorter GM column. I put a tilt column from a Camaro in my 30 Ford coupe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Henry Highrise said:
Take your tape measure and do some measureing.... you can find a shorter GM column. I put a tilt column from a Camaro in my 30 Ford coupe.
I think your right Henry, I have measured everything I can with it in the truck I'm just going to have to pull it out and hope I don't have to move it, even though the construction crew is suppose to start breaking ground next week.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
use a van column through 1979, lots were tilt, all you have to do is collapse the engine ay end of the column inside itself a few inches and it will bolt right in same column as the 71 72 trucks

do a google for van tilt column 67-72 truck

lots of ppl have done it :D

good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fast68 said:
use a van column through 1979, lots were tilt, all you have to do is collapse the engine ay end of the column inside itself a few inches and it will bolt right in same column as the 71 72 trucks

do a google for van tilt column 67-72 truck

lots of ppl have done it :D

good luck
Thanks Fast68, I will look in to it now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As suggested, you can use the van column but on my '72 C-20 I took the column out and cut the coupler shaft and welded it back together. To insure good strength, I first butt welded the two pieces back together then positioned a piece of steel tubing over the butt weld and welded both ends of the tubing to the shafts. It actually looks stock and I have had no problems. Doing this allowed me to position the steering wheel further away from the seat.
Do not try this unless you are an experienced welder, preferably with a Tig welder. If you do not have the experience or equipment, a good welding shop should be able to do the job for you for a few bucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maxwell007 said:
As suggested, you can use the van column but on my '72 C-20 I took the column out and cut the coupler shaft and welded it back together. To insure good strength, I first butt welded the two pieces back together then positioned a piece of steel tubing over the butt weld and welded both ends of the tubing to the shafts. It actually looks stock and I have had no problems. Doing this allowed me to position the steering wheel further away from the seat.
Do not try this unless you are an experienced welder, preferably with a Tig welder. If you do not have the experience or equipment, a good welding shop should be able to do the job for you for a few bucks.
Thanks for tips, I will check into THANKS!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have taken that style column apart and collapsed the tubes and the shaft an equal amount to shorten them. It isn't that hard to do but you would probably end up with a column that wouldn't collapse if you were in a wreck.

It may be safer than cutting and welding on the bottom end.

A couple of small tack welds would hold each component in place after they were shortened and then you could reassemble it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chopt 48 said:
I have taken that style column apart and collapsed the tubes and the shaft an equal amount to shorten them. It isn't that hard to do but you would probably end up with a column that wouldn't collapse if you were in a wreck.

It may be safer than cutting and welding on the bottom end.

A couple of small tack welds would hold each component in place after they were shortened and then you could reassemble it.

Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
Chopt 48 said:
That's right. Doing that creates a solid metal spear pointed right at your chest in a front end collision.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yep makes it like every Pre 69 car out there with a very few exceptions.
That is why I recomended a couple of very light tac welds, just enough to keep it from slipping but not enough to hold on impact. plastic pins would be better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chopt 48 said:
Yep makes it like every Pre 69 car out there with a very few exceptions.
That is why I recommended a couple of very light tac welds, just enough to keep it from slipping but not enough to hold on impact. plastic pins would be better.
Thanks for ALL the tips folks, however I have decided to contact "ididit" and they are going to make me a column. I do appreciate all the advice :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.