Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
It's time to move the steering from the center of the roadster to the left and I need some advice on steering columns.
The steering box is Corvair so can I use most any GM steering column? Do I just go to the pick and pull and start measuring?
I'd like to use a pre-'69 column so I don't have that cheezy ignition in the column thing, and I have access to some early GM pickup columns. Will they work ok?
Is this more simple that I'm trying to make it?
The car is basically a highboy '29 so if there are any off you guys out there with experence with this I'd really like to hear from you.
Check out my project journal, Mike Britton's project journal, and you can get an idea of the geometry of the steering. Thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sounds like a cool car
I just purchased an ididit column for my 48 chevy and would recommend the purchase, heres why its something thats A important your steering
plus i just sat mine in for mock up and turned it its soo smooth all new peices you can get it with out the ignition or shifter like mine plus they make a shorty version for small hot rods liek yours,
again depends on the wheel your running aswell my im workin on a 32 model A 60 hot rodd and it has a simple straight old column with a 39 chevy wheel but if you want a GM style column to run with the many after market steering wheels i recomend ididit great stuff
the version i used in my 48 is for a 55-56 chevy so i could runu the 56 del-ray steering wheel to follow the them for my car

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
steering column

Thanks, I was hopin to keep away from the big money of an after market column, but it might be worth it for so much less hassel.

·
Registered
320 Posts
yeah there worth the investment, plus you dont have to smooth the column to get rid of the key and shifter knobs been there done that on my nova this one i bought good luck on your build plus i think i had right at 3 hundred in this one went to summit and picked it up had it in stock plus they come with the billet levers etc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts