Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I need some help. I just got a column out of a 83 Pontiac Grand Prix for my truck. I started to take it apart to clean it up and relube the tilt joint, well a spring poped off and its part of the parking pawl/wheel lock and I'm not sure how to put it back. One end loops around the lock shaft for the steering wheel and the other end bolts down, now there is a loop in the middle and another kinda half loop but I don't know where it goes. This spring also operates the the key/ingition switch return. Anybody know about this please help me out.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Those GM columns have a bunch of weird looking parts inside them. I never understood why they didn't improve on the design over the years and more importantly, how they could afford to keep using that labor intensive design. Anyway, look at these links and maybe you can get an idea of how it all goes together;

Here and here.

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Thank you and Thank you

Thanks everone for the quick replies but Willys hit it. Willys I don't know how you do it but this is about the 3d or 4th time you've saved my butt. The link for the El Camino had the exact picture I needed and shows how to fix it. The sping I'm talking about is called the lock bolt shaft spring, I must have hit it while I was cleaning the column up and knocked it off the sector cam. Now back to the shop and fix my freebie steering column.
Thank you Thank you and Thank you again.:thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts