Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a column out of a '83 Pontiac Grand Prix for my '46 Chevy Panel and I've got two questions about mounting it. First the PO of my truck cut a fairly large hole for a column in the firewall, bigger than I need, I've already got it painted and don't really want to ruin the paint job. My question is can I use a couple or three layers of 20ga sheet metal for the lower mount of the column to cover the hole. I'll make it so it looks like its supposed to be there from the outside. Secound on the bottom of the column there is an arm comming out of it. I think its for the trans lock and shift indicator. The trucks going to have a floor shifter so can I cut this arm off and fashion a cover for it with out any problems.

Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
A single plate of 18 gauge sheet metal should do the job OK. Adapting the floor hole to GM steering column is a classic hot rod modification. If you are using a floor shifter, you can strip the column of anything to do with the shifter mechanism. One question though; isn't there a boss on the top of the column to hold the shift lever? What is your plan to eliminate that? You can find GM columns that don't have any shift mechanism on them so you don't need to hack on it.

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Willys, The column I've got is a floor shift column so I don't have the shifter boss at the top just that extra arm at the bottom. Like I said I think its part of the column/trans lock and gear indicator in the dash. I know when I move it the collor just below the key switch moves. Thats why I thought I could just cut it of and make a cover for it.

David

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
I think you are right. All a column like you have need to do is steer. tilt and switch the ignition. You can eliminate all the other jewelery on it.

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
You can make a two piece cover for the hole and also take a chunk of inner tube or similar materiel and make a seal for the column, use some hex head screws to attach. Should look like it's org.

Troy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts