Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to start thinking about ordering my steering linkage for my mid engined s10 thing. I figure between 7 and 9 feet of actual linkage will be needed and several u joints.

I am going to need 2 carriers outside the cab and another 3 inside the cab so I am thinking of making the entire setup out of round.

Now I dont like shiny. I will scuff, prime, and paint it black. The prices for linkage and u joints vary greatly though depending on where you go through.

I find the link below and I am like cool thats cheap and I can use 3/4" bore carriers which are also much cheaper then the 1" stuff.

Being mid engine the front end is lighter. I am using a manual 525 box with a 80" wheelbase. I think I can keep the entire thing under 2500lbs so it should be similar if not easier to the 91 longbox s10 I have now with manual steering as far as effort to turn.

It seems every setup I see is using 1" or double D. Is the 3/4" stuff safe?

·
Registered
1979 Chevrolet Malibu 496-TH400-9" (cruiser). 1992 Chevrolet S10 355-700r4-7.625" (daily driver).
91 Posts
I've had great luck with 3/4" 4130 tubing in my G body. I'm pretty sure it's .065" but it could be .095". I can't be certain. I did the work on that back in the late 90's. It's light, it was easy to work with and hasn't caused me any trouble. The first 15 years or so was the same manual box you have. It's power steering these days.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,541 Posts
Solid 3/4 is very heavy and WAY overkill.
3/4od DOM is less expensiveness, weighs less, and can be bought and cut to whatever length you need. Joint's are about $50 each, oversized bore Heims are around $15 for supports.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is one area where I am ok with a bit more weight and overkill.

But, if it is safe to use I would happily use 3/4 dom from the steering wheel to the 525 box.

That would save me a great amount of time.

But weight wise I don't care what it weighs as long as it is strong enough.

After the box I have .25 wall dom crossover steering and heavy duty misalignment heims that I have abused on other rides offroad in the past. I trust that kit which is why I am using it despite the weight.

But from the steering wheel to the 525 box does not things to be as strong. If I could use 3/4" DOM then yes please. I could get that tubing locally.
I plan on tack welding the u joints in 3 places to whatever I use. If I use dom I will just replace it when the U joints need to be replaced.

So 3/4" dom is safe to use? No problems or issues not using solid?

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,541 Posts
Real race cars use DOM tube steering shafts for decades. It works well. No problems.
Rotational strength is whats important, in the event of a crash, you don't want a solid bar that doesn't bend impaling you. Collapsible steering shaft offer this extra level of protection. That;s basically DD Shaped tubing so one peice fits into another OR a lattice work of metal that easily yields to linear forces.
See link

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. Sounds like a plan.

First time building completely from the box back so a few dumb questions to avoid even worse mistakes.

Thanks for the reassurance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts