Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
63 nova, everything new under the car, steering box has more slop in it than jenna jameson :mwink: i need to have this one rebuilt and not replaced because i'm using an ididit column and it has been cut and modified to fit. anyone know someone that can do the job if i send the unit to them??? since nova's have the worst steering known to man i'd really like to fix this problem, or can the extreme play in the wheel be taken out by adjusting it?

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
I used to take steering boxes down to my local; NAPA store and they would send them off and have them re-built for me. There is a adjustment. Look on your steering sector there should be a jamnut about 3/4 maybe larger with a setscrew with a straight slot in the center of it. Hold the setscrew with a screwdriver and loosed the jam nut. Turn your steering wheel all the way to one side ( this is because there will be more wear in the center of the worm gear and you do not want to adjust it there as then it will be too tight ) Ok with the steering wheel turned to one side hold the jamnut with a wrench and turn the screw in untill you can feel it bottom out....do not turn it hard...just gently bottom it out...now loosen it back off a half a turn...hold it there with your screwdriver and tighten your jamnut...thats it. If when you turn a corner the wheel does not want to spin back through your hands when you complete a turn...then its too tight...back it off another quarter of a turn if neccessary.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
So you don't steer it, you herd it? :p

These guys will rebuild that box for you if you can't adjust it or find a shop locally.
http://www.durexpowersteering.com/index.html

I have used them a few times before, no BS, good tech help, if there is a fix to firm up or get a quicker ratio in that box these guys know it. Talk to Tregg, I believe he is the owner.

Later,
mikey

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
There is an established procedure to adjust a steering box correctly. It can be done on the bench or in the car. Drop the pitman arm or draglink, whichever is easier and follow the procedure in the factory Shop Manual.
These manuals are available from many on line book vendors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts