Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a nutshell he's 14, a Freshman in HS and on the football team. His Dad was really good in football in HS and has really pressured him to play. Mom didn't want him to play. Last night we played his Dad's alma matter which just happen to be one of THE dominant football teams in the area. Does dear old Dad cheer for his son ? NO!!! He sits on the other side and cheers for them in plain sight of his son! Strike one.

They are getting clobbered 22 to 0 when in the 3rd quarter his best friend gets hurt and has to be taken away by ambulance (still no word on his condition today, sure looked bad last night). Strike two.

Up to this point he has been playing really well but you can tell it has taken the wind out of the whole team's sails. We can tell by the way he is pacing between plays he is very upset. Opposing team scores again. With 2 minutes to go we finally get a small break and our ball carrier breaks free and is headed for the end zone. There is only one opposing player near him and the stepson moves to get between him and our runner, his timing was off half a step and what should have been a great block turns into a clipping penalty voiding our one and only touch down and a great run by his team mate. Strike THREE!

The poor kid feels about 2 feet tall today and is really upset about his friend. Got to find some way to get his spirits back up............

·
At a loss for words
364 Posts
Even NFL players make bad mistakes sometimes. Just this past Sunday, the Lions' fullback had a holding call that cost them a TD. They did end up winning the game, but they were down at the time. He shouldn't be so down on himself. He's a freshman and it was only one game. Learn from it, go on with your life, and use it to make you a better player.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
I started on the line....

of our freshman foot ball team. Our quarterback got his leg broken half way through the first game and I walked of the field never to play again......NEVER!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well he's feeling a bit better and his friend is OK just got his bell's rung pretty good and bruised up and will be back playing by next week. I can tell his Dad cheering for his old alma matter instead of his team is bugging him though and I imagine he caught some crap at school today but that will pass and all will be forgotten soon enough.

He wants to play but to be with his friends not to be a continuation of his Dad's "glory days". Maybe if "Dad" backed off a little he could relax, enjoy it a little more and show Dad he is his own man. The kid has the physical strength and ability to be good but he needs to be given a little room to figure it out for himself without being pushed to be what his Dad was. His Mom handled it pretty well by not giving him the "THAT'S why I don't want you playing !" when his friend got hurt, believe me I know it was killing her not to LOL.

I'd love to have the health and energy of being a teenager again but you can keep the rest of it ! I don't need that grief again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts