Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is a great discussion on auto sterio. I have a 37 Plymouth and I have been doing some basic experimenting to try to get even a halfway decent sound system in my rod. Is it an essential requirement to have an independant amp? I get the idea it is. The comment regarding non-directional bass that cannot be pinpointed by the listener sounds right, but how is that done in a antique four door like mine? I was thinking it could go under the back seat, but the seat padding would probably muffle the sound too much to be effective. My doors are only about 2 1/2" thick and small by today's standards. The rear deck is only about 6"-7" deep and the dash is a flat vertical thing without adequate space for much more than the necessary gauges and switches. The side kick panels ahead of the front doors is large enough for one 6 x 9. I have those in and I have backed them up with a little sound deadening mat to reduce the sound emmitted thru the body panel. I'm new to doing this kind of stuff and my budget is tight. I don't want a state of the art system, just one I can hear as I drive to the next street rod show. I'd be grateful for any tips. I don't mean to but into your discussion Novapowerhouse, but the discussion may be helpful for both of us. Thanks for the space.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The 37 Ply looks similar to the photo except it is a four door sedan and it has a trunk. I listen to a wide range of music but most of the time it is jazz, country and blues. I do like it a little on the loud side, but not so loud that it is noticable to the car in the next lane. I have a very inexpensive off brand (cann't remember the name) radio/CD player that is rated at 160 watts output at 4 ohms. It has a speaker lead for a subwoofer plus L/R speakers. The car cabin is large and the car lacks good sound deadening of drive train noise. Door and window seals are very poor and wind noise is significant at speeds over 60. My budget is limited to about $300 at the moment, but I can always build on good basics with time. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.