Hot Rod Forum banner

stick or auto

• 2 pedals only for me (the old knee story)

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • It aint a hot rod without 3 pedals

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • I dont care either way.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • 6 speed baby.

Votes: 2 5.3%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Normally I go auto because........ VERY bad knees and the left is REAL bad but my '89 PU has a 5 speed with hydraulic clutch and between the hydraulic assist and the seating position it does not bother my knee and I LOVE driving it. So I'll say stick but only with some "help". ;) As a side note my Competition Plus shifter should be here soon. :D

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
I voted stick ... but I guess it depends.
You'd be real busy with a 700+ HP Supercharged Big Block with a stick. :p

As far as a STOCK vehicle goes ... I have a deep-seated distrust for automatics ... I have had too many of them fail.

I purposely bought a 5-speed MTX car (my old Tempo) and have not had to replace anything ... not even the clutch ... in 21 years.

My '98 GTP is going to need a new trans soon, and it's not going to be cheap. :pain:

The only way to drive it is in "Performance Shift" mode which uses higher line pressure.

·
go fast, turn left!
267 Posts
I'm getting lazy. I used to say stick was the only way for any car but lately I love putting it in D and going. I would like to put a 6 spd in my next project. My new G6 has an auto stick, thats pretty fun.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
As I have been predominately a pick-up type vehicle, one of my long time standing statements has been---"not a real truck unless it has a clutch".

59 Elcamino-----5 spd :D
66 Elcamino-----PG :drunk: --about to be discarded in favor of a "Row yer own"
64 Chev c-10---3 spd
05 Ranger-------5 spd

66 ElCamino I'm attempting to purchase now------396/4spd :D :D

Bryan

·
Blowin' it
413 Posts
I voted auto only for me, but not because of knees (yet).

I just like to get in, throw it in gear and step on the gas. I guess every once in awhile, slap stick it, but not often. Heck, my car is squirrelly enough with the auto.

·
Its just metal,you're the boss
264 Posts
standard for me, i spent 2 months and a pretty good chunk of change swapping my Monte Carlo over to a 5 speed. my love of the clutch pedal runs deep, rowing through the gears is like a religious experience. trying to make the next one faster and smoother than the one before, but thats just me...if your not man enough to shift your own gears thats fine :D. (don't you auto guys get all huffy, im just joking around, they have their advantages)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.