Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a parts hauler a couple of weeks ago. It is a little 93 Plymouth Colt Vista. It has a 2.4L engine in it. The question I have is that there is a sticky ring in it. When I start it it blows a little blue, then it is gone. I was told that it would go threw about a half quart of oil every 1000 miles. It has 90k on the engine, and had head work done on it not long ago. My question is.. Is there something I can add to the oil to loosen up that ring?? Thanks..

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure.. I was told that when I bought it is all.. Maybe the ring is stuck in the piston groove.. So if it is a valve.. Is there something I can add to the oil to clear it up??

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Normally when when a car sits for a while and you get smoke just on start up it is leaking valve seals. The oil in the heads leaks down into the combustion chamber and burns off when you start the car. I guess you could try something like Bars leak stop additive. That stuff is pretty good. I don't know if it will help you for sure but it is cheap enough to give it a try. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Would that Bars leak stop stuff hurt anything else if I added it??

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
NO it should not hurt anything. I used it in my old Honda accord (go cart) with 270.000 miles. I was really impressed with the results. :eek:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.. I will give it a try and let you know if it helps.. I guess the guy I bought it from put something in it that he heard about on some Click and Clack show.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Mobil 1 synthetic will probably reduce useage significantly. Saw it happen many times in less than 3000 miles.

It will devarnish everything, soften the seals, and release any rings.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I was told that when I bought it is all..
You were Lied too...... I also suspect you were Lied to about the recent Head Work as Well......
'Cause the symptoms you describe points to Bad Valve Seals........
And,......
NO,.... There's No such Thing as a "Mechanic in a Can" that'll Fix it.......

I guess you could try something like Bars leak stop additive.
Barrs Leak is for Radiators.......... It stops Water Leaks,.... Not Oil Leaks..... :nono:

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
bondo said:
You were Lied too...... I also suspect you were Lied to about the recent Head Work as Well......
'Cause the symptoms you describe points to Bad Valve Seals........
And,......
NO,.... There's No such Thing as a "Mechanic in a Can" that'll Fix it.......

Barrs Leak is for Radiators.......... It stops Water Leaks,.... Not Oil Leaks..... :nono:
They are most well known for there radiator leak stop but they also make an oil additive and probably a trans leak stop.http://www.amazon.com/Bars-Leaks-Engine-Stop-Conditioner/dp/B0002KPXYQ
I am just a stupid hick from Alabama! What do I know? :confused:

·
Registered
973 Posts
I am just a stupid hick from Alabama! What do I know?
And, I'm just a Maineiac living on the shores of Lake Ontario........

No Disrespect Intended,.......

But,..... With your statement above,.... I could just See APalusky dumping a can of Barrs Leak, Radiator Stop Leak into his Oil.......
'cause if you walk into a Parts House,+ Ask for Barrs Leak,.....
That's Probably Exactly What you'd Get.......

And,..... When all those Rabbit Food Pellets broke up,.....
That motor would Never Run Again........

·
Registered
156 Posts
Get a can of "cleens" for your local G.M dealer, it is a combustion chamber cleaner and it does a good job of freeing stuck rings and cleaning carbon from pistons & rings. I have see it take a low clyinder from 60psi up to 120psi.

·
floppers forever
788 Posts
dribble alittle trans fluid in the cylinders it will smoke but should lossen the buildup on ring.
i know i'll catch alot of crap for telling you that but it works and if we all had the money to have an engine rebuilt we would do that rather then change the oil.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, before reading this toinght I went to Walmart. I bought a bottle of(Bar's Leaks) engine oil stop leak. With seal conditioner. As far as the work done on the head I have some paid bill that came with it. Want me to go out and get it, and tell you what was done to it??

Though something else I could do.. Would anyone know what year Mitsubishi 2.4L would fit into it?? The little wagon is in real good shape. I would kind of like to keep it. The wheels and tires would have to go though, but the body, and interior are still in real good shape. Thanks..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Only thing that ever loosened stuck rings for me was a hammer and a screwdriver. Sounds to me like worn valve guides. Just drive it and check your oil alot.

·
Registered
585 Posts
bigbadbowtie said:
That makes 2 of us..... where in bama???
three of us!!I am from Mobile. I am a transplant to Mississippi. And as far as the trans fluid yes it works but what works better than that is marvel mystery oil. Slowly pour a pint of it through the carb or throttle body, with the engine running, I have also used a vacuum port to pull it into the intake. As soon as the last bit goes in shut the car off and let it sit overnight. Then the next morning crank her up and run it till it quits smoking and you should be set. A lot of people don't realize that you can put marvel mystery oil in the gas,automatic trans,crankcase and the use stated above. Probably more uses than that!!Don't know what's in the stuff but I know it is an excellent lubricant and it's cleaning abilities are outstanding. Brian

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Someone at work told me about the Marvel oil, but I was not sure how to put it in. This engine has a side intake. I just can't pour it in. How else can get a pint into the throttle body?? Thanks..

·
Registered
36 Posts
smoke on startup

Check the valve guides , remove the valve cover and see if the guide has dropped .If it has the seal usually pops off the guide .They have a fix with replacement guides and a e-clip that goes around the guide to keep it from dropping.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts