Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the problem is worse. Engine 351 boss. Had a broken valve spring caught it in time. Replaced the springs and seals. The engine never smoked before this all happened. It smokes on start up acceleration and deceleration. Don't know the history of the engine or did I have the cam specs. Should I pull the heads and have they done? Maybe the guides? The crazy thing is no signs of oil or carbon on the plugs. The engine runs great except for the smoke. Its not black its blue white. The springs were same diameter same height with no bind problems. The car doesn't get raced any opinion would be greatly appreciated. I hate thinking I need a complete rebuild, rings?, but it looks that way. Thanks.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
How did the spring get broken? Over rev it maybe? If so, might have broken the top compresion ring or two. If you pull the heads off, look for valve marks on the piston tops especialy on the cyl. you broke the spring on. You might have bent the valve stem and walered out the guide.
If the engine has many miles on it, the ridge in the top of the cyl. will break top rings if over reved. I know, I've done it!

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
If it started after you changed the springs and seals, I would make sure you have the correct seals if it didnt smoke prior to changing them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.