Hot Rod Forum banner
121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,026 Posts
Ok, Curtis.......I think we had a good exchange of viewpoints. I'm sure anyone reading this should have some food for thought. Thanks for the input..............
We did a good job 🤣
brushes off hands and goes for a beer

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
If you think they are so great at this point in time, why don't you go buy one?
I have never bought a new car. The only one I considered and saved up for years was GM's hywire which they abandoned and is now a concept.
The next new "car" I was determined to buy brand new was a thing called a elio. The thing is a basically a 3 wheeled geo metro. Yet another failure.

I do not ever plan on owning a Telsa due to the fact they do not support right to repair.

I have not seen anything out currently that really made me say this is something new or great. If I could buy any car it would be a koenigsegg. But I am a little short of ever being in the same room as one of those.

I am waiting to buy a EV for the same reason I am waiting to buy a 3d printer, a VR gaming setup, and a wind turbine(with battery/inverter) to power my home off the grid.

The tech is expensive. But if your willing to wait then the prices will come down. Add to that the expected surge in electric cars in the next 5 to 10 years and in my book it makes sense to wait.

I am always willing to wait on things like this especially if I know it can save me cash without giving up any features.

I am a car and driver kind of person. Give me good amount of power to weight, a manual transmission, no abs or other outside control, and a suspension that lets me drive the thing with a smile on my face as bugs are hitting the drivers door and I will take that every time. I dont care if that is a go cart with a motorcycle engine or a 36volt golf cart I fitted a 78 volt engine and half a prius pack into.

If it has a potential to do the same thing sign me up. But I am not going to break the bank to do it just to do it kind of thing.

Everything I have (that can fit one) is either running or will be converted to run a LS engine. 10 years ago that was a tbi or carburated engines. In another 10 years I will have everything EV.

I stockpile parts as they become available. I have 2 5.3 longblocks currently and half a dozen 5.3 engines minus the shortblock.

When electric cars crash/roll and can be had for cheap then I will stockpile the motors, the controllers, etc to lessen the cost of eventually converting older rides to electric.

But right now the EV stuff is just to dang expensive / rare to justify. For now I stick to whats the best bang for the buck.

If flew into a state like California for a week and knew I would be driving a good amount that would justify a car rental vs other means I would drive a EV.

For now, for my cheap, budget minded, butt the LS makes sense. When electric fits in my budget and the LS becomes outdated I will move to converting everything to electric.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ahhhh..........Cerial, we may be more similar than you think. I too stockpile things for future use and build things from scratch. I have 3 full projects dragging on and a fourth on the horizon. One has an LS3(480)/Tremec 5 speed,another has an LY6/4L80E, and the third was going to have that LS3 but since I already installed it in something else that could change or stay the same . I've got new LS3 and LS7 blocks sitting on a shelf and 3 500 Cadillacs,an LS1 core and assorted factory alum heads. At one time I had virtually everything to build the LS7, but was disappointed with the varying weight of the stock factory pistons which had an odd wristpin size to fit the Titanium rods I had. Decided that I didn't like that setup and sold them and the factory LS7 crank. Going to go with an aftermarket crank,rods and pistons instead. Either the LS7 or one of the Cadillacs will go in project 3 and probably another Cad in project 4. Then I have about a 1/2 dozen Corvair engines including a factory turbo one. They were for a homebuilt airplane project that looks like it isn't going to happen. Lots of 9" Ford rear ends and a few Chevys and a new Tremec Magnum waiting for the Cad or LS7 ............Wife wants me to buy a new truck, but I don't want one. I'm happy with my 2000 Chevy regular cab with 115,000 miles.

From reading your reply, basically you don't buy one because of cost. I have to admit that I think you are kind of a unique guy that likes to think for yourself and has the ability to do a lot of things that the average person can't. That puts you in a position to cull the scrap and possibly arrive at the electric destination far cheaper than others. Good for you as I like to do that too. Still, for the average person who doesn't even own a wrench or know what its for, they don't have the advantage that you have. They can be sold a bill-of-goods on the current advantages of electric vehicles......but someone also needs to make them aware that there are drawbacks............currently. :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Wife wants me to buy a new truck, but I don't want one. I'm happy with my 2000 Chevy regular cab with 115,000 miles.
That might be a good truck to hold on to. I recently read that even 2000 and newer regular cab, short bed pickups are much in demand. Maybe that's because you can actually park one in a standard two-car garage with an 8ft ceiling!

·
Registered
295 Posts
That might be a good truck to hold on to. I recently read that even 2000 and newer regular cab, short bed pickups are much in demand. Maybe that's because you can actually park one in a standard two-car garage with an 8ft ceiling!
Well said. Personally I don't want to own a land yacht and I like being able to reach over the bedside............and its been paid for forever. I paid about $7500 (think it was $7000). Had about 80,000 and now has about 113,000. Could have eaten off the bed. I added a chrome grille and alum factory wheels, a bed liner and a bed cover. Replaced the fuel pump. I think I could get what I paid for it given todays truck prices.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The reason I bought my 01 2500HD and got rid of a 02 1500 was because the 02 had a rusted frame and a 4l60e.

The 2500HD has a much better frame and yes mine is a extended cab. About 80% of them are. I wish it was a standard with a 8" bed. But meh how picky could I be the thing had a rebuilt 80, rebuilt transfer cade, newish brake lines, and I drove it over 50 miles home for $1500.

I had a 4 door dually c30. Yea total nightmare everywhere but the highway.

The #1 reason you find cheap 5.3's is a rusted frame, junk brakes, or a junk 4l60e. A 2500hd fixes 2 of those and still fits in most garages.

·
True Hotrodder
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
@cerial

"You need to get it out of your head they are going to outlaw ICE in the next 5, 10, even 15 years.
Gasoline will be a option for most of our lifetimes."

I haven't bothered to read everything here so I don't want to take anything out of context, however, I think the above quote certainly has a lot of merit but after seeing some of things that our very corrupt government is/has done, I'm not sure I can have the same faith in ICE being able to withstand a constant barrage. They might not be able to "outlaw" them but they could make it damn near impossible for the run of the mill person to afford to feed one. Not withstanding the cost of the fuel itself, the talk about taxation per mile of use, the talk about major cities restricting parking to non-ICE vehicles or an extremely high fee to park one, and even restrictions on when ICE could be operated within a municipal area. Then they could get into the repair part of owning an ICE. They could shutdown the selling of repair parts for ICE, remove access to tires and required fluids for ICE vehicles, they could limit garages to working on "X" number of ICE vehicles per week/month/year with heavy fines for violations.

Don't under estimate how far these people will go in their lies and double-standard dealings to accomplish their goals. Just the other day you had Biden running his mouth about wind power, yet thousands of wind turbines are being torn down and scrubbed due to the high cost of repairs. People constantly forget just like they will this time, that huge monetary incentives put wind turbine farms in place just like the current solar farms that you are seeing built now. While the incentive money is there the profits are good but once that money dries up, it changes everything.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Well after the bombs drop and all the electronics are fried I still believe I ce will be around and kicking even if it is running off of something made in a still.

I am a bit more realistic in my rides though. It wont be supercharged v8's it will most likley be like whats below. Still running ICE.

·
Registered
295 Posts
@cerial

"You need to get it out of your head they are going to outlaw ICE in the next 5, 10, even 15 years.
Gasoline will be a option for most of our lifetimes."

I haven't bothered to read everything here so I don't want to take anything out of context, however, I think the above quote certainly has a lot of merit but after seeing some of things that our very corrupt government is/has done, I'm not sure I can have the same faith in ICE being able to withstand a constant barrage. They might not be able to "outlaw" them but they could make it damn near impossible for the run of the mill person to afford to feed one. Not withstanding the cost of the fuel itself, the talk about taxation per mile of use, the talk about major cities restricting parking to non-ICE vehicles or an extremely high fee to park one, and even restrictions on when ICE could be operated within a municipal area. Then they could get into the repair part of owning an ICE. They could shutdown the selling of repair parts for ICE, remove access to tires and required fluids for ICE vehicles, they could limit garages to working on "X" number of ICE vehicles per week/month/year with heavy fines for violations.

Don't under estimate how far these people will go in their lies and double-standard dealings to accomplish their goals. Just the other day you had Biden running his mouth about wind power, yet thousands of wind turbines are being torn down and scrubbed due to the high cost of repairs. People constantly forget just like they will this time, that huge monetary incentives put wind turbine farms in place just like the current solar farms that you are seeing built now. While the incentive money is there the profits are good but once that money dries up, it changes everything.
Well said !

Its just like guns, they try to eliminate them by legislating a piece at a time, high fees and difficult to purchase. Thats the way they will go after fossil fuel. They have already done it with canceling the pipeline and prices have risen a $1 already. Honestly, I would like to see nuclear power.

121 - 131 of 131 Posts