Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dropping a '94 351W from a Ford truck into a '67 Fairlane and wondering if there's any reason the stock distributor won't work. Does it get wired like an original points style distributor?

Alternatively, I'm considering a Petronix distributor. Should I just forget about the stock unit?

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,157 Posts
My personal opinion is I would take your stock points style distributor and do a pertronix point conversion kit. Cheap and for a stock motor it will function fine and even on some stout street motors. :cool:

·
More for Less Racer
20,952 Posts
The stock '94 distributor can't be used, unless you use the original application computer (or aftermarket computer control)...timing on the '94 is entirely the computer, the distributor has no mechanical or vacuum advance mechanisms, it is just a magnetic trigger.

Make sure whatever distributor you use has a gear compatible with whatever cam you put in the engine.

If you want basic electronic and stock, the mid-70's Duraspark and it's box is easy enough to hook up....again, make sure gear is compatible.

If you want one wire easy, get a HEI style for a 351W Ford, internal module andcoil-in cap aftermarket distributor.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The 94 351 truck motor should have a roller cam in it, so you will need a steel gear on the dist. I would go with the duraspark dist. You may be able to reuse the gear off of the EFI dist which came in the 94 engine. I am building a 95 5.8 right now to put in my 87 F-150 4x4.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great feedback guys, and those websites from Techinspector1 were particularly informative. Yes, it's a roller motor. I'm going to be running a Howard's cam and they advised using an iron gear. I noticed a lot of distributors (including Pertronix) come with steel gears but nobody notes if the're Melonized. Is the type of hardening used really that specific? I'm looking into the Duraspark with an ignition control module and figuring out the wiring.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Eric,

The engine will still be a hydraulic roller. Howard Cams recommends an iron gear and the replacement distributor I'm looking at comes with iron. I've done some research and the wiring is pretty straight forward as you said. I tromped through a snowy junkyard yesterday and pulled a harness off a pick-up so I'm in pretty good shape. I just wanted confirmation on the fit before ordering the distributor and control module.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.