Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has to of been answered before but I didn't find anything on the search. What wheel HP levels is a factory rebuilt alum. glide capable of?

Currently I am running a 2004r OD trans. I'm tired of taking it places that can't seem to get it built right. Been in and out 6 times now in the past 3 years. It's expensive, it's heavy, and it robs a ton of power. So I geared down to a 2.73. And I'm going glide.

I'm not all that familiar with with these transmissions. I just know they are simple and generally cheap. My car has a 2850 race weight with me in it. Running a 3.8 turbocharged roughly 500whp.

What kind of a build/parts would I need on a glide to have a worrie free "bullet proof" Trans. on a light weight 500whp car?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
What valve body used on this glide?

What input shaft spline? I would suggest a turbo spline shaft, then a common converter can be used.

Stock glide with minor mods to direct drum with 5x5 friction - steel setup would take the power at that weight in a NON trans-brake transmittin.

I would want to see 180 psi minimum at race setup, prefer 200

:D

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Crosley said:
What valve body used on this glide?

What input shaft spline? I would suggest a turbo spline shaft, then a common converter can be used.

Stock glide with minor mods to direct drum with 5x5 friction - steel setup would take the power at that weight in a NON trans-brake transmittin.

I would want to see 180 psi minimum at race setup, prefer 200

:D
Honestly I don't know what VB. Just that it's an alum case OEM glide. Pulled out running. I can pick it up for 100 bucks. I'd assume I'd have to have it built. Think 100 is a good price for a core? Valve body suggestions? I'd also assume I wouldn't be able to get 200psi out of a OEM pump. Have a pump suggestion?

What type of mods would it need to hold up in a T-brake situation? With the 3500 stall I can build plenty of boost off the line. Think I'd be better with a tight converter and a brake? say a 3000 or 2800? Or just go with the loose converter and no brake.

I can pick up a built glide for 1000 just trying to figure if it's worth the effort to buildone or if it will cost around the same.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
960 Posts
2.73 rear end gears? Way too tall for drag racing. Biggest improvement to a "stock" Powerglide, would be to install a steel "unbreakable" direct hub. The stock hub is cast iron and brittle, they tend to break out in the middle. You'll need that to up the clutch plate count anyway. Then, a hardened input shaft, you can go to the turbo splined unit, and use converters built for TH350/400 transmissions. Get Carl Munroes book, Powerglide Transmission Handbook", he covers almost everything you need to know. I'm not too familiar with the Turbo V-6 cars, but, I think if you hunt around you can find a rare "Pontiac" patterned case, so you don't have to adapt the trans to fit your engine; I'm not talking about the Super Turbine 300 trans that gets called a "Powerglide", because it is a 2 speed, I'm talking about a for real Powerglide with the Pont bell pattern. They are rare, but are out there. TransGo shift kit. You can footbrake race, or go to a transbrake setup. There are some minor differences, depending on the year Powerglide you use, but basically, you build them the same way. You can get good deals on aftermarket parts, on that auction site we all know and love, for pretty good prices.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
junior stocker said:
2.73 rear end gears? Way too tall for drag racing. Biggest improvement to a "stock" Powerglide, would be to install a steel "unbreakable" direct hub. The stock hub is cast iron and brittle, they tend to break out in the middle. You'll need that to up the clutch plate count anyway. Then, a hardened input shaft, you can go to the turbo splined unit, and use converters built for TH350/400 transmissions. Get Carl Munroes book, Powerglide Transmission Handbook", he covers almost everything you need to know. I'm not too familiar with the Turbo V-6 cars, but, I think if you hunt around you can find a rare "Pontiac" patterned case, so you don't have to adapt the trans to fit your engine; I'm not talking about the Super Turbine 300 trans that gets called a "Powerglide", because it is a 2 speed, I'm talking about a for real Powerglide with the Pont bell pattern. They are rare, but are out there. TransGo shift kit. You can footbrake race, or go to a transbrake setup. There are some minor differences, depending on the year Powerglide you use, but basically, you build them the same way. You can get good deals on aftermarket parts, on that auction site we all know and love, for pretty good prices.
Thanks for the info I'll look into it.

Your among many who think taller gears are better. But with turbo engines and a light car lower gears tend to net faster E.T.'s. At least with my car and setup. Loading the turbo up sooner with the steep gears knocked a half second off my 1/8th mile and I gained 4 MPH up top. (going from 3.08's) It's really the best of both worlds. I may only make 400 hp but I'm pushing 600 ft lb so it's all about gearing and loading up the turbo!

·
Registered
960 Posts
That's why I said I was'nt too familiar with V-6 turbo cars, the gearing just seems too tall. But, watching the turbo tractor pullers on the T.V., and watching them "spool up", seems to make some gearing sense. But, did'nt the turbo Buicks come with something like 3.42 gears? And, that they came with an O.D. trans, to get the best of both worlds, as you say. Anyway, Glides are simple, and relatively cheap, but I don't pay any more than $25.00 for the ones I put together for the bracket racers around here, most I get for free. Course, they have'nt been made since 73, and supplies are starting to dry up. Not too good a street trans, real good bracket/lower class drag trans. Good luck.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
junior stocker said:
That's why I said I was'nt too familiar with V-6 turbo cars, the gearing just seems too tall. But, watching the turbo tractor pullers on the T.V., and watching them "spool up", seems to make some gearing sense. But, did'nt the turbo Buicks come with something like 3.42 gears? And, that they came with an O.D. trans, to get the best of both worlds, as you say. Anyway, Glides are simple, and relatively cheap, but I don't pay any more than $25.00 for the ones I put together for the bracket racers around here, most I get for free. Course, they have'nt been made since 73, and supplies are starting to dry up. Not too good a street trans, real good bracket/lower class drag trans. Good luck.
Yup, 3.42's... but they also weighed 4000lbs I'm 2650. Other problem being my redline is 5500. So I was running out of gear with the 3.90's I had previously and finishing the quarter in OD. The Gn's didn't make 600ft lb. either so that helps.

I'm running the GN trans now. It's been in and out 6 times in the past 3 years and just won't stay together without blowing 2400 or so on a chance (or similar) transmission. Been 10.60 @ 131 with current setup. I'm also factoring in a ton of slippage judging from my traps and RPMs in 3rd. So I think a glide will help me out alot.

I'm hoping the 2.73's will help with the "streetability"... I can buy an alum. core for 50 bucks here. But then I don't know who to take it to. And what is needed to make it 750hp rated.... Wanna build one up for me? :D

So far the best deal I've found is the ******* racing package. 750 HP rated comes with custom converter stalled where ever you want. SFI shield etc... It's $1050. Anyone know of a better deal out there?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-P...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Has anyone had good luck with ******* racing transmissions? C

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
found a local glide that has a cast iron housing. Just rebuilt with brake for $550? How much power are the cast housings good for? Seller told me it was on a mid 10 second camaro. So I'd assume it'd be fine for my 2650lb car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
960 Posts
IF, this in fact a CAST IRON Powerglide, STAY away from it. For starters, it's not anywhere near a strong as an ALUMINUM Powerglide, it also weighs at least 100 lbs more. I've NEVER heard of a cast iron Powerglide with a brake. And, we all know, "it runs 10 seconds". How you would even adapt it to the Buick V-6 turbo I don't know. Find an aluminum Powerglide, preferbly with the rare Pont bolt pattern, it'll save adapting it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went and looked at it. It's not cast iron. Saw the car it came out of. Looked very nice with little time on it. I picked it up for 450. Then bought a BOP adapter plate from speedway motors for 60 bucks. It's even the same length as the 200-4r so I might not need to alter my drive shaft.

Thanks for the help all, I'll make a post when I do the install and let U know how it works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.