Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am putting a stoker kit a 350 4 bolt main....gen 1 and i need to know if i can use a stock oil pan or if i have to get a deeper one....some of the ones on summit said...("stroker oil pan clearance"....no) sooo thats what got me thinking that i may need a new oil pan..is this true??.....also....with this 383 what kind of carb should i put on their...people are telling me something over 700 with vac secondaries...what about dual 500's....or even something smaller in duals???? would duals give me more power or just flood my engine with gas???

·
Registered
59 Posts
Your oil pan clearance depends alot on the stroker kit you put in your engine. I used a stock oil in my 383 build up. I also used a Holley hp seres 750 with manual secondaries. I have dart iron eagle platinum heads with 230cc runners also so my motor breathes a little. It all depends on you engine

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You don't need a "stroker" oil pan, I've built 2 383's with stock pans....but also used stock rods, never hurts to check for clearences though when you get ready to button it up. The carb choice has been discussed numerous times here, just like camshaft choice. Like said previously it depends on several things...intended use and the overall parts combo of your engine. If its mainly a street driven veh. then I would stay with a 600-700 vac. sec. Holley or Edelbrock, don't leave out a GOOD rebuilt quadrajet either. I personally would'nt use a dual quad setup unless you just had to have the look, but if you do keep the carbs at 500 cfm or less. Good luck with your build and do a search for "engine break in oil", lots of good info there

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Like I said I used stock prepped rods with ARP rod bolts, did'nt have a problem. If you use cap screw type rods then you need to check clearences on your pan, block and cam. Its all part of building a stroker or any engine for that matter, "gotta check things." And you'll find that some guys just have to have that deep sump or kick out pan, looks racy!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.