Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
The reason coolant and oil stop leaks sometimes work is your dealing with low pressures. Maybe 25psi for coolant and 80psi for oil tops.

With power steering your dealing with 1200 to 2200 psi. Anything that is going to seal is going to harden in the reservoir.

Best to just fix this right.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chas, that was my thought too, give the simple fix a try. The main thing I'm trying to avoid is changing the rack. Easy to get to the tie rod nuts and mounting bolts BUT the hoses are tucked WAY up in. When I installed it the dog house was off which made it a little easier. Good news is that I have a lifetime replacement of the rack but the cost of spending 3-4 nights in a loonie bin is high.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Doghouse=Van/COE
Front clip/nose=Car or truck.

Whats wrong with pulling the front clip?

Grab a piece of paper, tape, a marker, and a handful of ziplocks. Grab a towel to tape(painters) to the front of the door edge to keep the fender from hitting it hurting the paint. Another towel by the cowl to protect that paint/windshield.

Ok use the marker to circle around any bolts and spacers under those bolts that need to be removed.
This little step helps greatly with realigning everything as you simply position the bolts to where the marker is no longer covered and your dang near spot on every time.

Make a little drawing numbering the bolt locations that you removed and number of spacers. Then throw those into ziplocks. So if you removed a drivers rear hood hinge bolt and lets just say that turned out to be #12 with one spacer. When you go to put this thing back together you grab your 12 bag and tighten down the bolt and spacer snug(snugging other bolts) then move them to where the marker is no longer covered then tighten.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My son had a 90's ford truck with a leaking power steering pump. We put a teaspoon of brake fluid in the reservoir and it never leaked again for 5 years till he got rid of it. A very wise person told me this trick!

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
My son had a 90's ford truck with a leaking power steering pump. We put a teaspoon of brake fluid in the reservoir and it never leaked again for 5 years till he got rid of it. A very wise person told me this trick!
Not recommended. Brake fluid and power steering fluid are two diffrent things. Mixing a little bit may swell and soften things. But it could just as easily sofen things to the point they fail.

Stop leaks are for oil and coolant if you cant wait to fix it correctly. Not recommended for transmissions, transfer case, or differentials.

Absolutely not for brake or power steering high pressure systems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.