Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just picked up a bare block that I plan on building this summer. I am planning on storing this engine in my garage for the winter and need some advice on storage. The engine has just recently been honed and has a nice surface to the cylinder walls. What would be the best way to protect this surface from the midwest climate. I was thinking of cleaning the bores with some brake cleaner and then smearing a good amount of assembly lube on the surface and then throwing a blanket over it for the winter.

Chad
66 Galaxie XL soon to be 428 powered.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
if you have some spray silicone,give it a good coat but don't go overboard you just have to clean it later and it will last.then use a couple of large garbage bags and double bag it and seal it well.if you have left over oil from oil change mix a little paint thinner or kerosene with it and use it like wd-40.its cheap.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Whatever you put on the cylinder walls, do not use WD40. That stuff is vastly overrated. Personally I would not seal it in a plastic bag unless you had some kind of dessicant material to place in the bag. The plastic bag will seal in existing moisture and prevent moisture from escaping. If the block is painted all you need to do is grease the cylinder walls. If it does not have cam bearings in it I would also grease the cam bearing holes, main bearing mounts and lifter bores, and fuel pump rod hole.

Vince

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
storage

Vince is right about the bag. I have seen alot of rusted blocks because of the cast iron sweating inside and not being able to breath. If you sit it on the floor make sure you put it on some wood. The wood will soak up the moister drawn out of the cement. That why people find cars sitting in barns that are almost rust free.....

I perfer automatic trans fluid for the bores...I have found for me personally it work better then all the store bought rust preventers...

Keith

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,811 Posts
Brake fluid absorbs moisture. Moisture causes rust. I've got a block been sitting in my shop on a 50 dollar engine stand for two years without rusting. Just keep it dry.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i have a buddy that some yrs. ago left an olds 425 on an engine stand in the middle of a build for eight yrs.in a bag dry.i was there when it was opened up and could not beieve how clean and shiny it was.all the same i'd feel better with a little oil on it.i have a 350 and a 426 sitting on a cart in my garage.the 426 is abare block and the 350 is a short block.the 350 is lightly covered and now and then i spray some oil on it.the 350 is pretty clean and the 426 is rusted.the 426 has been there more than twice as long but the 350 will still do better.the heads i have sitting on wood on the floor are covered with bags and they stay clean as well.been there several yrs.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
This sounds kind of strange but I used gun oil on the bores of a 302 I have been storing for 3 years not one bit of rust yet.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
onebadmerc said:
This sounds kind of strange but I used gun oil on the bores of a 302 I have been storing for 3 years not one bit of rust yet.
Gun oil has excellent rust prevention additives. Another good rust preventer oil is Marvel Air Tool oil.

Vince

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Engine storage spray works pretty good, I like to grease the bores if the block is disassembled. The spray is wax based and will not run off or dry out.

CRC Engine storage spray.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I did

I got the block and used WD-40 as this is what I had available to me at the garage I am storing it in. I coated every surface with the spray and then layed the block on some plywood and placed a blanket over it. Do you think this will be enough? I plan on re-spraying it again in about a month to take care of any run-off.

Chad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts