Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 straight axles. One is off a 1930 Model A. The other is off an early Model T. I am currently building a rat rod and would like to use one of these axles.

Question: Where can I get one of these axles refurbished? Are these axles adequate for a street rod? What types of drums, etc. can I retro-fit to these axles?

Any advise is much appreciated!!

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
The Model A axle can be used although you may want to go with a dropped axle to help lower the front of your rod. Here is an article that will give you what you need to know. You do not have to go with the dropped axle but can use the stock Model A one and update the brakes.

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/135_0505_1929_ford_model_a_tudor/index.html

What frame are you going to use? How are you going to mount your front suspension on it? Get back with some answers and more questions after you read the article.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Before you jump off the dock, go to the local bookstore and either buy or sit, read and absorb a few hundred pages of information from any books having to do with building hotrods, bucket Ts in particular.

You need a base of information and to work from and add to when starting a build.

The T axle is useless as a modern vehicle work piece. Hang it on the wall as a conversation piece. Just do a little reading so when the conversation starts you'll be able to hold up your end.

The A axle will work fine IF it is straight and not bent or twisted in any way. The other things to to look for are "wallered" out spring perch holes and
kingpin bores. You will want to get a set of 37-41 or 42-48 Ford spindles and brakes for drum brake setup or a disc brake conversion if you want something a little more modern.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
There are companies that will drop the A axle too but they end up a couple inches narrower in the process. It is a good choice if it is in decent shape. You can go as low as you want if you suicide the mount or hang the springs off the wishbones, without running a dropped axle.
I built my frame from scratch using some pieces of Model A frame for the front and tubing from the toe boards back. Model A frames are cheap and plentiful but they generally should be boxed and have a buttload of holes that need filled in to look good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.