Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a 41 Willys gasser and I'm building my own frame. Question is what length axle would be best for a frame that is 29 inches outside frame rail to outside frame rail. Will probably buy a kit from Speedway but need help with the length. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I am using a 51 Chevy 3100 front axle pretty much because it was what I found with everything rebuilt/painted for $350.

The 1.75" wide springs are;
28.5 outside to outside in the center
29 5/8 outside to outside rear and
26 7/8 outside to outside front
You can "wiggle" the springs in the loose U bolts a bit to change those numbers slightly.

Good;
They are easy to find and people don't consider them gold like most do with
Ford axles.

I don't know how tough they are. But, "upgrading" to Chevy spindles is a old trick.

Rebuilding them are easy

Upgrading them are easy

They use a common bolt pattern. I have some aluminum(mock) 14" s10 rims on them now with the correct tire height.

Bad:
They are not a lightweight axle. I want to say fully equipped with, drum brakes, steering hardware(most cast), springs, rims and tires mine weighs in at around 4-500lbs.

It is a cast axle that uses 1.75" springs that run inboard as you can see. This limits your spring choices.

There is a difference between the truck axle and car axle. I want to say it is in the pins on the truck being bigger. But, don't quote me on that as I have not really looked into it. I know there is a important difference in the trucks favor strength wise. Just know that if you want to go aftermarket parts most kits are for cars.

Once again it is a cast axle. So drilling, welding, and bending that can be done on some other axles is not available. Well, not recommended. I imagine it has been done correctly with the right skill set.

I was going to try fabricating some kind of adapter bs to run 2.5 springs. But, eliminated that weak link and just went with posies instead. I am setting up adjustable brackets now to run speedway sliders on the rear of both front and rear springs. I need the slider to be 3" wide so my outer brackets can go around the tube and that means I will have slugs inside the slider. Not something I want. But, something that has to be done to run the axle.

If you are alright basically running jeep cj springs this axle will be great for a gasser with very little upfront cost and very little work. It is also period correct if you are trying to make something that looks like it was built in the mid 50's to early 60's.
Being able to order stock parts from a stock re seller for it in 5 years vs trying to find company X who has been sold to company B who may have some parts for that axle and will get back with you in a month is better in my mind for something that will see street abuse. For a track only couple season only "promotional" gasser that is modernized it is hard to beat the advantages of an aftermarket axle.

Best of luck with your build.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for all the info. When you're just getting started you need all the help you can get. Good luck with your ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts