Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this may seem trivial but this has been bugging me for a few days trying to get this car back on the road. '71 El Camino, got a full built Strange 9" rear end; housing, center section, axles... Anyways so to try and save some money to upgrade other things I asked if I could use my stock Gm drums and the sales associate said I could, so I put the order in. Get the rear end, trying to figure out how to assemble the rear drums, after looking on their site seeing YouTube videos about using a retainer, found on the housing end that they linked to the Gm retainers I needed to install the drums, which was never mentioned to me nor on my order. I call to verify to which another associate said, "I guess that's what you need". Whatever, put the order in, get the ratainers today, and am assembling and just want to make sure this is correct. Basically after trimming the backing plate, installing that with the axle, and the retainer goes on top of the backing plate and presses the bearing to the housing on the rear end correct? It was hard to find information on how this was assembled with GM drums but I figured a few guys around here may know their way around 9" than me as this is my first experience with one. The drum (once the lug holes were drilled to fit the larger studs) goes back and sits flush on the axle face like it should, but before I assemble the drums I wanted to verify. In hindsight I should've spent the extra money than deal with all this, but now it is what it is.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks correct from the picture. what type of seal are you using? o ring or actual lip seal?
Thanks for the reply. These are the axles quoted on my build sheet

And these are the bearings used quoted on the build sheet

forgive me as im still learning these rear ends and such, they said this is a ready to go housing kit (hopefully besides the retainers and brake assembly) but those are a lip seal correct? The gold seal piece is what youre referring to? I'm kind of going off this chassisworks assembly sheet

The axles already had the bearings pressed and such, the whole rear end looked like it came with everything minus the brake components (that I asked for to keep the drums), so I hopefully just needed a retaining plate. I figure I'll email them with the same picture and my order sheet to verify. Ive just always dealt with c-clips and havent messed with these pressed bearings or 9" with retainers. Just wanted to make sure I'm doing everything correctly before I get it out on the road

1 - 3 of 3 Posts