Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '34 Chevy street rod has multiple wiring problems. When you turn the key, frequently it does nothing. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold (more frequent when hot). Had three electricians make repairs but the problem comes back. Need help from an experienced electrician in the Dallas area. It's a painless wiring system with a GM column.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Jason34 said:
My '34 Chevy street rod has multiple wiring problems. When you turn the key, frequently it does nothing. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold (more frequent when hot). Had three electricians make repairs but the problem comes back. Need help from an experienced electrician in the Dallas area. It's a painless wiring system with a GM column.
Doc here::pimp:

you get No "Click", no lights, radio and the like?

Loose or bad fuse link or wire going from the solenoid, or loose battery cable/link wire at the solenoid...would be the first place to look...

More on what it dosn't do would be helpful...

Doc::pimp:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Doc and Doug, thanks for the advice, that's definitely something I can tackle on my own and see what happens, I'll go through the grounds and cables to the starter/solenoid.
As for more "info" I was just told the wiring to my column is a mess and there's some hot wires that need to be repaired, but they couldn't properly trace the prob.
I was told the car has everything running to the alt (not directly to the battery) so you don't get anything when you turn the key, not even a click. When it is running, power doesn't work until you rev it over 2,500 rpm and the alt "kicks in". The last guy re-routed the headlights on it's own line w/fuse, but that didn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Wiring

Doc here:pimp:

Is the alternator 1 wire or 3 wire?

If its a 3 wire wire the car as per the attached photo and your problems should all go away....

(start wire not shown in photo, run it from start side of key switch to the "S" on the solenoid)

If it s a 1 wire run battery power and ground main cables to the starter, positive to the big solenoid terminal, ground to the nearest bolt to the starter.

On the Same main starter terminal attach your fusible link (That supplies power to the rest of the car) and the alternator wire.

On the "S" terminal , Attach your Wire from the start side of the Key switch.

On the "I" terminal run that wire to the ignition coil power wire (secondary Ignition)

Thats pretty much it..It should start, run and charge no problem!

Check all your grounds, and run extra ones if you think you may need one.

Doc :pimp:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts