Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an observation and a question-

I travel around a little bit, and last week I was in Las Vegas. Whenever I go to a new Town, I always look in the Yellow Pages and seek out any Rod Shops and go to look and/or buy stuff.

I go to Vegas at least once a year, so the SoCal Speed Shop is a must see event for me (buy T-Shirts, maybe some off-the-shelf doo-dad).

Anyways, I have been in three or four Shops in different cities in the last few Months, and I was looking at the quality (and ideas!) in Workmanship of in-progress Rods.

I was shocked to see in all of the Shops that I visited recently the amount of Weld Shrinkage in the Metal. I mean these guys are putting so much Heat in the Welds that the Weld Beads were at least a 1/4" (or more) below the parent Metal.

This isn't a criticism (really!), and I'm certain not indicative of most Shops. I was just shocked and am trying to figure out why. Maybe because they are on a tight Schedule and aren't waiting for the Metal to cool, maybe some other reason. Obviously, they are going to use a lot of Filler (I wonder if the Car's Owner knows this?). Aren't most of these Shops on a Time and Material basis? Anybody else notice this?

Maybe I'm too critical-

·
Registered
117 Posts
Could be they are beveling the material? Then go over it with filler for the clean look. Putting on filler is easier than grinding.

·
Shabby chic sheet metalshaper
233 Posts
It is not the amount of heat put in the metal, or what the weld area looks like right after welding, it is what you do about it afterwards that counts. Were they done and starting filler, or were they ready to start metalbumping and finishing?

John

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John,

What I saw was completed Weld Seams-these had multiple Welds two to three high in places(I assume to get all of the Seams Welded (holes)thoroughly). To me it would be extremely difficult to Planish these Welds-I mean, it would take extreme stretching (these things were really concaved).

Now, wait-I am not criticizing this, it is just an observation and maybe an education for me. Maybe I'm walking around with blinders on, however the Welds that I have been able to successfully Planish I didn't let get out of "control"-I did almost one at a time-I don't think I could raise the ones I saw and make them look right again (I hope this makes sense).

One was in a "Street Rod Body Shop"-they didn't do complete builds, just Body Work (and some of the finished examples were beautiful), I just wonder how much Bondo was underneath-maybe this is an standard practice in the Industry, but I've always considered the "Pros" to be Craftsman (as good or better than Restorations)-

·
Shabby chic sheet metalshaper
233 Posts
The were stacking welds? Sounds like they had a problem with porosity, and did not grind it back down before more welding maybe? I like gas welding, because even valleys that form are easy to straighten out with no grinding.

They may be just welding it together and filling excessively...been there, done that in the past, I hate to admit.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts